Blood Effects

Hello everyone!

I am very new at film making. My friend and I have been working on some little funny music videos. We are thinking about making a short film. Very short! We are experimenting with camera shots and different effects.

One problem we had was a stabbing scene. We wanted to make it look as if he was stabbing my hand and that blood came out.

We ending up just stabbing to the right of my hand and having the camera on the left of my hand. Then we just cut to a scene where I showed my hand with blood on it.

So here are my questions.

What is the best way to pull of a blood effect for a stabbing and a shooting?

If needed, where can I buy good looking knives (for a cheap price) that retract?

What programs or effects do I need to put video clips on top of each other? ( for example filming a clip of the hand, then putting a clip of a stabbing of a packet of fake blood under that clip?

Any help would be awesome! Hope everything's clear.

Chris

Well, probably the best way to do this is with a foam latex prosthetic hand filled with a blood bag. That way you could stab a knife right through the hand so that it came out the other side and blood would pour out. You could cast your hand in casting medium (you can use plaster but it does get HOT so you have to be careful. I would definitely research this procedure before attempting it)) then make a latex hand with a space for the blood pack, then paint and detail it with an airbrush ect. rig it and shoot it. You could also use a trick knife. Retractable ones are easy to find. Run a plastic tube to the back (off camera side) and down the attacker's sleeve to a squeeze bulb filled with blood. As he stabs, he squeezes the bulb with the other hand and your hand is covered n blood. To keep the effect going, you could have a second bulb rig either palmed so when you grab your "injured" hand, you squeeze more blood into it so it drips all over or a tube ran up your sleeve so blood continues to pour out. Here's a link for a lot of simple FX:

http://www.likeastory.com/filmmaking/speci...ffects_ar3.html

Have fun and be safe. B)