how about using of airstar balloon lighting

Some experiences? Using it outdoors, you need to be very aware of the wind. Just the slightest breeze will make the Airstar go all over the place when you raise it up. And I mean just the slightest bit of breeze. Also, it will cover a quite small area, so for outdoor night use, you'll probably need more, or supplement with other units. But the light is very nice. Helium is expensive though.

Some experiences? Using it outdoors, you need to be very aware of the wind. Just the slightest breeze will make the Airstar go all over the place when you raise it up. And I mean just the slightest bit of breeze. Also, it will cover a quite small area, so for outdoor night use, you'll probably need more, or supplement with other units. But the light is very nice. Helium is expensive though.

Thanks for your comments. Helium is also expensive in China.

• Premium Member

They're good. And sometimes they're the only option or way to get a certain look. As mentioned, wind will screw it up.

I prefer the sausage versions as they normally just fit better with my style. I also normally skirt them quite heavily indoors so as to not spill everywhere. There are other brands than Airstar that often deliver a similar product slightly cheaper, so don't just look at Airstar options.

• 1 month later...

The wind is a big issue, are you using them for interiors or exteriors? Depending on the shot or the scenes camera movement you can do things to help fight the wind if you're not doing a steadicam shot or handheld that requires you to see more than 180 degrees in one shot. I've actually posted 3 poles and tied the balloon off forming a triangle to keep the balloon ties taught = less movement if it is windy. Definitely in great condition if you have existing things like trees or columns in the architecture of buildings to tie off to.

Also be extremely careful while packing it up if you plan on using it multiple days on a shoot. I had one that was leaking terribly on the second day of using it because people were tugging on the power cord and pulled the seam and ripped the stitching on the bottom of the balloon. Although my key grip saved the day and rigged 4 - 4x4 frames with gridcloth to create a 4 sides of almost a cube and we punched a 5k through it. So if your balloon acts up, this is a solution and it provided about the same light quality.

Hope this is helpful, good luck with your shoot!

Sing Yam