Using old footage in film, copyright concerns....?

• Premium Member

I would like to use some old footage in a short film of some old shool burlesque dancing.

How or even could I be able to do this without infringing copyright. If the film company does not even exist anymore it might be difficult to track down to ask,

Any advice would be great, thanks.

It depends what you plan on doing with the film. If it is only going to be shown to a small group of people and you have no plans to make money off of the film then I would say don't even bother as nobody will every hassle you about it. If you absolutely need clearance that will be more complex. How old is the footage? Is it possible it has been released under public domain?

• Premium Member
It depends what you plan on doing with the film. If it is only going to be shown to a small group of people and you have no plans to make money off of the film then I would say don't even bother as nobody will every hassle you about it. If you absolutely need clearance that will be more complex. How old is the footage? Is it possible it has been released under public domain?

Hi Garrett,

Actually I have been researching about using stock footage, wow its quite costly, then again I shouldnt be that surprised in this line of work.

I intend to enter festivals nationally in the UK and perhaps the world. But I am in no way making money from it. I am trying to "sample," some kitsch burlesque dance from the 30's/40's but you know that kind of style. Perhaps its different in the Uk. I know I could save myself an absolute bundle if I simply lift some scenes I like but somehow...it just doesnt feel right. Its tempting though. I will google the public domain thing,

Thanks,