How will you specify a good Assistant Director?

Stepan, That's a tough question. I can offer one independnt perspective. Naturally, expectations will be different for every director but for me, since I direct and DP on very small budgets and wear both hats, the Assistant Director is the most important person that I have to depend on. My main collaborator right from the pre-production phase. If possible I'll do the script breakdown with him, so he knows all the details for the shots. The most important thing is the pacing of the shoot progress. The AD must know what shots need to be in the can by the end of the day and the sequence in which they are going to get accomplished. He should know what elements, like props, extras are needed and insure that they are in place and ready to be set-up by whom so that when shot 1 is done we're all ready for shot 2 etc. He interfaces a lot with actors, the gaffers,grips and PA's who also know the shot list. He has to understand what everyone needs to do their job and minimizes the down time any way possible. He'll get an actor to make-up so that he's DONE with make up in time for his shot when it comes up. Since I'm a director /DP, He knows intuitively when I've got to shift my attention to the actor or the gaffer and kinda covers for me when I have to go into DP decision mode. The actor can't be made to feel ignored or it will effect his performance. In many ways the AD's the toughest job on the set. I always try to get as much compensation for the AD as possible, even sharing my own with him. On bigger shoots, there are more than one AD. I don't have that luxury for my situations down here. But I'll bet it's the same but with a structured distribution of responsibilities. He basically keeps the schedule on target to the extent that it's possible. Hope this helps.