Camera and Lighting Tests

It depends on many factors including but not limited to: what camera(s) you are using and what it is that you are testing for. The more information you can give us, the more we can help you. Are you wanting to test that the cameras are working properly or are you wanting to experiment with different visual looks with different film stocks/filters/etc? Cheers.

It depends on many factors including but not limited to: what camera(s) you are using and what it is that you are testing for. The more information you can give us, the more we can help you. Are you wanting to test that the cameras are working properly or are you wanting to experiment with different visual looks with different film stocks/filters/etc? Cheers.

Well it is a requirement for our Senior Project at SCAD but they just tell us to do camera tests and really none of my Prof's have ever talked about this so of course I am lost. I really just want to test to see how the image on the camera looks and that it can do because it is a digital format and I have never worked with digital HD before (CIneAlta). As for as lighting tests go I know I wanna do a test in the locations I'm going to shoot to get the temp. and the intensity of the light down.

Hey Rochelle,

From what you've said it sounds like you want get some practical advice that you can try out yourself. So here goes.

First thing you can do is start with a basic 3 light set up and light something by eye, then turn the camera on. Balance your monitor with your colour bars so that it represents WYSIWG (what you see is what you get). http://hd-cinema.blogspot.com/2008/06/hd-m...alibration.html follow this link for instructions to how to.

I don't know where you getting your camera from but if rented from outside your school you could ask for a manual to come with it. Otherwise ask at your school if they've still got one.

Once you've got a manual you can refer to the bbc site with camera setups, this is not fully explanatory but hopefully you'll get it as you go along. http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/production/hd.shtml (its in the right hand column under the heading "HD camera setups")

Back to lighting, look at your monitor adjust your iris so that it looks acceptable and then its all about playing with your lighting and iris. Try different intensities, different feels, different apertures for changes in DOF and latitude test. This is the fun bit so just let yourself loose and try different things.

I can't really think of anything else right now.....

Edited by Serge Teulon

...we have to do Camera Tests...

A camera and lighting test should be done for wardrobe, makeup, film stock and lens choice purposes. It's the best way for you to understand the "negative" and what you'll get at different exposures and contrast ratios. Also, it'll help you develop whatever lighting style you're considering for the film.

Edited by Jonathan Bowerbank

Hey Rochelle,

From what you've said it sounds like you want get some practical advice that you can try out yourself. So here goes.

First thing you can do is start with a basic 3 light set up and light something by eye, then turn the camera on. Balance your monitor with your colour bars so that it represents WYSIWG (what you see is what you get). http://hd-cinema.blogspot.com/2008/06/hd-m...alibration.html follow this link for instructions to how to.

I don't know where you getting your camera from but if rented from outside your school you could ask for a manual to come with it. Otherwise ask at your school if they've still got one.

Once you've got a manual you can refer to the bbc site with camera setups, this is not fully explanatory but hopefully you'll get it as you go along. http://www.bbc.co.uk/commissioning/production/hd.shtml (its in the right hand column under the heading "HD camera setups")

Back to lighting, look at your monitor adjust your iris so that it looks acceptable and then its all about playing with your lighting and iris. Try different intensities, different feels, different apertures for changes in DOF and latitude test. This is the fun bit so just let yourself loose and try different things.

I can't really think of anything else right now.....

Thank you sooo much I really appreciate it!