Extreme Sports/Motocross Documentary Reel

Cody Bradley

Hey,

I'm putting together a sports/motocross documentary reel and looking for some feedback. It was all shot while documenting the National motocross series this past year. Pick it apart and let me know what you think.

http://destroyerfilms.com/Movies/Reel-3rd%...H.264%20LAN.mov

Thanks,

Cody

The video quality looks great, but the video in all isn't that great for me.

1. very few different camera angles: low angle during race, dolly in the beginning

2. very slow: no movement in the images

3. editing is very slow: makes it seem as if the event was dull

4. music is slow also: Air isn't the best choice for something like this, you need some rock, something with a real good beat and flow

Motocross is very fast paced and full of energy, you need to use this to your advantage in post with the music and editing. Quick edits is needed to do this as well as matching to the music. Find a fast paced song and use the kick drum on the drums as your edit points.

For progression from start to finish, you need an establishing shot, like a time-lapse of a sunrise on the track with trailers setting up and such, then intercut mechanics working on bikes with riders taking practice runs. If you want to make it a longer reel, use Alone in Kyoto for the beginning but then once it gets to the point where the gates drop infront of the bikes cut to an intense part of a heavy metal song and use more footage of the riders battling. Then once the winner crosses the finish line cut to a slow-mo of that shot and change back to the end of Alone in Kyoto and finish up with the awards and another establishing shot of the entire track.

I don't know what footage you have available, so your chances to do this might not be too good, but thats just what I suggest to do for the reel.

Key notes:

- make it fast paced: music and quick cuts

- more variety of shots

- progress as if it were a narrative

Good luck :) .

- Steve

Thanks Steve, thats exactly what I needed. I have tons of footage and will try to change it up. The motocross videos I make are usually cut to a more rock and roll tune but I wasn't sure how to put a reel together in order to showcase my footage.

Thanks for the advice

Cody