Jib recomendations

Bill Totolo

• Premium Member

I have to budget a low budg news/talk show. Since it's going to run weekly for 26 weeks the producers asked me to price out a jib for them.

I need something that's 18 feet long with a remote head and includes controls (focus, zoom, iris).

Thanks.

I have to budget a low budg news/talk show. Since it's going to run weekly for 26 weeks the producers asked me to price out a jib for them.

I need something that's 18 feet long with a remote head and includes controls (focus, zoom, iris).

Thanks.

Jimmy Jib is reasonably priced and can support both small and much larger cameras.

http://www.jimmyjib.com/index1.html

• Premium Member

I agree with the Jimmy Jib recommendation. I think they go for around $600/day. I'm sure you can get at least a three day week and possibly more discounts considering the length of the rental. On the other hand, you could just have the company buy a jib. It would probably be cheaper.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that the producers are looking to purchase the equipment.

I'll also need to include the remote head in the estimate.

Can anyone suggest a ballpark figure?

Thx

Thanks for the replies. I should have mentioned that the producers are looking to purchase the equipment.

I'll also need to include the remote head in the estimate.

Can anyone suggest a ballpark figure?

Thx

Prices are listed on the Jimmy Jib website for all configs and accessories.

Hi Bill,

All-in for a 30' Jimmy Jib with back-ups, dutch head etc. to run any camera and have spares you'll get to around $26k. I can't stress backups enough on the Stanton products; they're great jibs but the hardware, connectors and cabling is outdated and a little on the skimpy side IMHO. Also, be prepared to have some of your own cabling and adapters made. Stanton makes it one way and one way only, that's it period. No custom lengths or connectors; not an option.

I had them build a new zoom focus controller for my Steadicam last week and they still use an outdated 2-pin Lemo for power. Since they had to make up a unit and cables from scratch I pleaded for them to put a current 3 pin Lemo on it, offered to send them one, pay them extra whatever... "Nope, this is the design, this is how we sell it". Talk about sticking your head in a hole!

Otherwise, their service is good and it's great value in jibs for what it is.

• Premium Member

Thanks for the replies guys.

I sat down with the EP and pretty much talked her out of purchasing the equipment for many of the reasons Mike listed.

I prefer to hire an owner/operator intimately familiar with his own gear.

Now to figure out the format and the camera. So many choices these days...

Thanks for the replies guys.

I sat down with the EP and pretty much talked her out of purchasing the equipment for many of the reasons Mike listed.

I prefer to hire an owner/operator intimately familiar with his own gear.

Now to figure out the format and the camera. So many choices these days...

I think you mean Rob, but thanks anyways...good luck.