how to winterize arri bl-1

Mihai Meda

Hello!

My first post here...

I am shooting a short film in Romania this coming winter. It's going to be snow, it's going to be cold. I am shooting with an Arri 35BL1.

How to I actually "winterize" the camera? Is it essential? Any first thing thoughts that you have regarding potential problems working in the snow? This is my first 35mm shoot.

Thanks so much, hope I'm welcomed to the board!

Cheers,

Bogdan

• Premium Member

Not sure how much you, as a user can winterize the camera. Consult your rental house, or Arri.

The lubricants that keep the movement smooth will have to be cleaned out and replaced with lighter oils/greases. I'm not a tech, so I don't know what else specifically for the BL-1. Is it being rented, or is it someone's personal rig? If it's a rental, it may be easier, just tell them what you'll be doing and they can have their tech winterize it. A heater barney is good. Keep the other mags, lenses, etc warm as well. Keep yourself warm too.

Be careful of static build up which can cause lovely lightning bolts in the film.

When bringing the camera inside, put all caps and covers on and wrap the whole camera in a trash bag. Mags too. The bags make sure that they will not get condensation on them. Be sure the bags are air tight-no holes. Take the gear out of their cases and bag them, so they will warm up quicker. You don't want to speed up the warming process. Using a hair dryer can cause the cement in the lense to delaminate.

It may be possible to leave some gear in their cases, but I'm not sure.