Importing the m2t files into FCP from the GY-HD100

Galen Carter-Jeffrey

I have a question about the workflow with the JVC GY-HD100. We are shooting HDV to a firestore and then downloading the firestore to a hard drive at the end of the day. My question is this, Is there anyway that I can just log and transfer these files using FCP? I keep seeing people telling me to use MPEG streamclip. The camera isn't that old, surely JVC or apple or someone released a plug-in for FCP.

Is there a better way?

• Premium Member

Set the DTE to encode the files as Quicktime. Record. Plug the drive into the computer. Dump to a hard drive. They are ready to be edited in FCP. No transcoding, nothing. Just ready to go. It doesn't get any easier.

Set the DTE to encode the files as Quicktime. Record. Plug the drive into the computer. Dump to a hard drive. They are ready to be edited in FCP. No transcoding, nothing. Just ready to go. It doesn't get any easier.

Does setting it to encode as quicktime either decrease the quality of the file or increase the file size? Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with this.

Oh and for the files we already have in .m2t format what can we do?

Edited by Galen Carter-Jeffrey

Is there a better way?

Yes. Clipwrap is the answer if you have recorded your files in m2t format instead of Quicktime format.

Clipwrap simply encapsulates the mpeg stream into the Quicktime wrapper - just as FCP does. There is no generation loss as with the transcoding route of Mpegstreamclip.

More details can be found here.