My first Demo reel, Cinematography

Hello everyone.

About two months ago, I completed my first demo reel! (Finally got all those editors and directors to fork over some footage.) It's about 2:30 seconds, and will not become much shorter, sorry. I just graduated from film school, and these projects were the many I kept myself very busy with senior year. I'm currently looking for work in Los Angeles and am entertaining the thought of graduate school for more in-depth cinematography training.

I am open to other comments and opinions, as I highly regard and value Cinematography.com members input and integrity. Please do not hesitate.

The Demo reel can be found at my website RyanPatrickOHara.com under 'moving', or click HERE for a direct link to the page.

You can contact me via phone or email:

(p) 330.322.2421

(e) Ryan@RyanPatrickOHara.com

In Addition: I am available to serve as Director of Photography for independent work or can serve as a dedicated and hardworking member of a camera team, in any position. Please contact me for more info.

I thank you for your time, as I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Best,

-Ryan

• 3 weeks later...

Ryan,

I like most of the shots, the ones that were moody worked the best for me. The overall flow was nice but a bit long as I found myself fast-forwarding through to the last 3/4 of the video. Maybe go back through and pick out the shots that are only kinda good, like the one with the boy laying down in the car?

Overall though, I liked the use of color and shadow.

Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Evan Pierre

First three cuts: woman staring ahead, man kneading his brow, car burning, the audio picks up and BANG. You grabbed my attention. Excellent job syncing the pace of your music with the action contained within each clip.

My only qualm is the awkward silence at the beginning between the first noise and the start of the music. I only found one shot weak (in my opinion) which was the two cuts at the dinner table just past halfway through.

Overall amazing reel, I loved it. :]

Thank you very much! It means more hearing complements from Cinematography.com! Great community of cinematographers here!

David: Yes, the boy in the car is probably one of the weakest shots, as it is very random and short. It will be the first to go, once I make a new reel, in the short future. It is so very hard to pick shots, especially when it's your own work and you have so much insight and bias towards them. This is why I need you guys to tell me what you think from a fresh eyed prospective.

Thanks for the good words Evan! I do agree that noise starting the reel is odd, but it jars you from the liquidy trance! :)

Rob: Yes you can specialize at SCAD with different 'tracks' the diploma is the same but the graduation requirements become different. To graduate on the undergrad cinematographers track you must shoot three senior films. Because in the schools eyes a cinematographers work equals three times that of a director. :huh:

Anyway, despite that, I went on and shot seven. Kept myself really busy, but it paid off, because as Delorme states, I have been getting some really good "starting out" gigs here in LA. I'm currently gearing up for a USC grad film, which is great because I'm back doing what I love!

Thanks for the comments so far. Best to all of you.

-Ryan

Nice work! Thanks for sharing. I am impressed with the amount of good looking work you pulled off in that amount of time.

I think the length is fine. The pacing is decent. I do think you could take it further with editorial structure, the when and where choices with the edits.

This could possibly show more of the blocking choices made and increase the narrative.

I do understand the montage approach and wanting to only show specific shots.

With that aside I believe it serves the number one purpose.

Good work and good luck out here in LA,

JD