Super 8 DIY PullFocus

wolfgang haak

I happened to own a Nizo S480. And I wanted to do some cheesy-but-cool pull-focus shots. I usually do some dry runs for a shoot, that means I operate all camera controls/movements as if it was the real shot, but without squeezing the trigger.

As you a probably just a skint as me, and want to save on precious film, you'll be doing the same... My dry runs of pull focus shots result in so much camera shake (hand held), so I quickly change my mind and take the shot differently without fancy effects.

But while out on DIY shopping for some home improvements, my eyes rested on a large selection of jubilee clips, and my mind began to work.

Just have a look:

Super8_PullFocus04.PNG

Part list (UK)

1x 35-50 mm (size 2A) Jubilee Clip £0.55

1x 75 x 4mm Machine screw £0.15

1x 3.2mm Steel Drill £2.75

1x 4mm Tap (thread cutter) £1.95

1x Ikea Drawer Knob (pack of two) £2.00

1) Instruction: Secure the Jubilee Clip in a vice, best to secure it using scrap pieces of soft wood. It gives better grip.

2) Drill a 3.2mm hole down the end of the jubilee clip adjustment screw, and cut the 4mm thread into it.

3) Cut the head off the 4x75mm machine screw.

4) Put some self adhesive foam or electrical tape on the inside of the jubilee clip to protect the lens cover from scratching.

5) Tighten jubilee clip so it just slides on lens, the give it only 1/2 or so turn to stop it from slipping. Done.

Let me know how you get on if you do your own!