Day for night interior scene, with moonlight effect?

Guest Matti Poutanen

Guest Matti Poutanen

Hello!

I'm gaffing a short movie later this month where I have night time scenes in location (INT). The location is an attic in fourth floor, so tenting windows would be extremely difficult, so ND seems to be the solution.

I have access to a condor-type lift, so I´m able to light from outside. I have two 4kW HMI Arris which I´m planning to use as my moonlight. Due actor scheduling we're shooting the night stuff in daytime.

The window (which is, thank god, a very small one) will be visible in several shots. So my question is: after gelling the window with ND, will my two 4kW´s have enough punch to light through the ND, and give me some hard moonlight effects? Any alternative ideas of getting the moonlight feel during daytime? Of course the "night" will be augmented with smaller fixtures inside the set. My main concern are wide shots, where the window and the set where to moonlight will fall, are visible simultaneously.

I've attached a picture outside and inside the location to give you guys better sense of geography of the location. The window in question is the round one.

Thanks,

-matti

post-7891-1223403629.jpg

Why are you using ND gels ? Perhaps a blue gel outside of the window would be a better option

Daylight is already rendered blue if you're shooting for tungsten inside (which is the case in majority of shooting scenarios) ...you don't need to add more blue, you just need to bring the intensity down

Hello!

I'm gaffing a short movie later this month where I have night time scenes in location (INT). The location is an attic in fourth floor, so tenting windows would be extremely difficult, so ND seems to be the solution.

I have access to a condor-type lift, so I´m able to light from outside. I have two 4kW HMI Arris which I´m planning to use as my moonlight. Due actor scheduling we're shooting the night stuff in daytime.

The window (which is, thank god, a very small one) will be visible in several shots. So my question is: after gelling the window with ND, will my two 4kW´s have enough punch to light through the ND, and give me some hard moonlight effects? Any alternative ideas of getting the moonlight feel during daytime? Of course the "night" will be augmented with smaller fixtures inside the set. My main concern are wide shots, where the window and the set where to moonlight will fall, are visible simultaneously.

I've attached a picture outside and inside the location to give you guys better sense of geography of the location. The window in question is the round one.

Thanks,

-matti