Some questions...

Nolan M Berbano

I just bought what I thought to be a Bolex Rex-5 off of eBay. I received it today and the body reads "Bolex H16 M." Now I've done my research and I'm pretty sure it isn't a H16 M. First off, it has the three lens turret. And secondly, it accepts 400' magazines. It doesn't have a turret lock though which I believed to be a feature of the Rex-5. Also, there was no viewfinder mounted on the top of the camera. It came with an Octometer but shouldn't there be a viewfinder on the top? Any help is appreciated.

I just bought what I thought to be a Bolex Rex-5 off of eBay. I received it today and the body reads "Bolex H16 M." Now I've done my research and I'm pretty sure it isn't a H16 M. First off, it has the three lens turret. And secondly, it accepts 400' magazines. It doesn't have a turret lock though which I believed to be a feature of the Rex-5. Also, there was no viewfinder mounted on the top of the camera. It came with an Octometer but shouldn't there be a viewfinder on the top? Any help is appreciated.

Hi Matt,

I think that was one of the bolex auctions I was 'watching'. I noted that it wasn't a reflex camera at the time. If it has the lable 'Bolex H16 M', then it probably is an M-5 (since it has the 400' shoe). Best way to tell will be by checking the serial number against the bolex collector list: bolex collector

It is probably the case that the front single c-mount plate was changed at some point for a turreted front. Does the camera have a filter slot by the way? It would seem that the M bolexes didn't.

Best thing would probably be to get a lens with viewfinder and leave it at that.

cheers,

richard

Hi Matt,

I think that was one of the bolex auctions I was 'watching'. I noted that it wasn't a reflex camera at the time. If it has the lable 'Bolex H16 M', then it probably is an M-5 (since it has the 400' shoe). Best way to tell will be by checking the serial number against the bolex collector list: bolex collector

It is probably the case that the front single c-mount plate was changed at some point for a turreted front. Does the camera have a filter slot by the way? It would seem that the M bolexes didn't.

Best thing would probably be to get a lens with viewfinder and leave it at that.

cheers,

richard

Yeah the camera came with a Pan Cinor zoom lens with the dogleg viewfinder and also a Bolex Octameter. I'm beginning to think that the camera was just changed to the turret front as you said but the serial number on the bottom plate is 258335 and the serial numbers don't go that high for the M-5's on the bolexcollector site. No filter slot as well. I'm thinking about returning the camera and going back to the eBay hunt unless someone wants to purchase the camera here for at least $600. Oh well...

Actually it does have a filter slot. Just found it. :rolleyes:

Well as you say, the serial number would appear to make it a rex-5. The filter slot (which M cameras dont have) could well be part of the modification (if that is what it was) from an M. However here is another important question: If you remove the lens, when you look at the center mount of the turret (the middle of the 3 c-mounts) can you see a glass prism (just looks like a piece of glass) or do you just see the camera shutter? If there is a prism, this would tell us if there is a reflex system in the camera, and simply no viewfinder (hence it is a rex-5 without its normal viewfinder). Of course, the prism could have been removed ... But the reflex system also involves a 'periscope' that reflects the image up to the viewfinder. Is there an opening of some sort, or glass or mirror of some sort visible at the top front of the camera where the far end of a viewfinder would be (ie the non eye end)? that would be evidence of it not being an 'M' camera. It might be that the modification of this camera was in removing the viewfinder (and perhaps the prism) and changing the name plate to 'h16 M'. Maybe the original owner had trouble with the reflex system, or didn't want it or need it ... Bolex cameras were modifiable in their day, and bolex (and others I presume) did this to adapt cameras to lots of various industrial applications etc..

If it does have a prism and a periscope and a reflex system, then it is probably possible to have one of the new viewfinders attached. The Rx-5 had a so called '10x' viewfinder. The early Reflex and Rex-1 models had just a 6x viewfinder magnification. It is possible now to get a 13x or 14x viewfinder. Maybe you can take advantage of this. see: jk camera

let us know how you get on.

rt

All I see is the camera shutter. I think I'm just going to stick with the M-5 for now and load it up with some film to test it out. Another question arises though... the 400' magazine that came with it only has one film core adapter on it. I'm pretty sure it needs two doesn't it? Anyone know where I can purchase one of these? Any help is appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

Of course, there is a core adaptor on each of the two magazine spindles. Also you need two film guides that are placed on the camera's spool spindles. A magazine Bolex has a lever that can be pushed in the direction of the lens to retain the loop formers when you load your camera.

For spare parts try

http://www.bolex.ch/NEW/index.php

• 2 months later...