How to achieve this?

I have a meeting with a client tomorrow to shoot 13 intro/outros for a series and this is the sample picture they've sent me...it looks like they've done some quick post effect and I'm assuming that the host will become lit as he/she gets closer to the camera....have any one of you folks done something like this? how do I go about creating an effect similar to this?

I'm using an HVX200 with Letus 35mm and Nikon primes..

• Premium Member

I'm not sure what you mean by "become lit."

Perhaps you can devise an elegant way for them to walk into their lighting. Something like they're in black and they get a kicker first then a little hairlight then they start to get a little low level fill then they walk into their mark and they're fully keyed, filled and still have their rim and hairlight.

• Premium Member

I may still be misunderstanding this. Can't you just treat the tubes as practicals and use a dimmer scheme to light the host as they approach?

Edited by Chris Keth

I may still be misunderstanding this. Can't you just treat the tubes as practicals and use a dimmer scheme to light the host as they approach?

Well, that's what came to my mind first time I saw the picture too, but I want it to look clean and without clutter and am not sure how to hide the cables on either end of the tubes...it'll look like a jungle of cables if I go about hanging 15-20 kino tubes, unless there is another way/ trick I've never tried

• Premium Member

Isn't that for the production designer to figure out?;)

Anyway, I believe there are single-tube kino fixtures. You could use those and just snake the wire down the back of the tube.

Edited by Chris Keth

The standard flo is much brighter than your illustration and will destroy your contrast. When I had to achieve a similar effect I ended up wrapping each flo in a lot of ND. I don't remember what density and how many times I wrapped each one, but either way allow everything to cool in between takes. In theory you could also close down a lot, but that would mean what ever light he walks into would have to be quite intense.

Interesting design. It reminds me a little bit of this artist.

http://www.gallerygazing.net/article.htm

peace