Me and My Workprint

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Hello,

After 12 years of not working with printed film, I have decided to get back to using workprints and editing in the "traditional" manner. One problem: I've forgotten what a correct workprint should look like. And another problem: I've never shot 35 before, and that's what I'm working with now.

So, today I got my first 35mm workprint back in the mail. Here's my dilemma:

Holding the spool on my index finger and unrolling the film on the side farthest from me the image is upside down. On the left hand side is a green stripe with the bar code and emulsion numbers. The numbers seem to be upside down and backwards.

Is this all correct? Is my film wound the wrong way? I don't have access to a project or editing table to check this print out on, so I'm wondering if I need to send some special winding instructions to the lab next time.

Thanks for your help,

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

I just checked some 16mm film that I have on my Steenbeck downstairs. The numbers should be on the right-side (when you hold it up to your body with the end of the film strip facing away from you) and the image would be right-side up but flipped sideways. You should then be able to view the image in the correct orientation.

Edited by Bill DiPietra

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)

Bill,

Thanks a lot for your response to my post. I have one question for you: When you say numbers, are you referring to the Keycode numbers (which are a set of numbers and letters followed by a bar code) or the edgecode numbers (which are just numbers)?

And here's another question: When you thread the film on your Steenbeck where do the Keycode numbers appear? Are they on the top or the bottom, and do they appear to be backwards?

Thanks,

Aaron

Guest Aaron Martin (TX)
Hey, Aaron

Do you have a cinema near you ?

Simon,

I do, but not one that will project my film for me.

Aaron