burnt out fuse?

MTL

So i posted earlier regarding my eclair that suddenly stoped getting power while shooting, and i now know it wasn't the battery. I think it might be a burnt fuse, because i was running at 50fps. I took out this piece (that isn't mentioned in the manual), and it looks like a fuse that burnt cause the two wire-like things aren't connecting anymore, plus, there's a weird brown colour to it. Is that possible, and if so, can i somhow replace it?

the two wire-like things aren't connecting anymore, plus, there's a weird brown colour to it. Is that possible, and if so, can i somhow replace it?

Yeah, that's a fuse. My Eclair likes to pop them from time to time as well. Take it to your local electronics store, they will have replacements in the exact voltage you need.

• Premium Member

When a fuse blows, it's important to do a bit more than just stuff a new one in. Fuses are there to protect more expensive parts of the system from overloads. When one blows, it's a good idea to figure out what caused the overload. In a mechanical system like a camera, cleaning and lubrication come to mind.

-- J.S.

Thanks, but i think it may have to do with the fact that i was running the motor at a fast speed in cold wether. That's just an newbie assumption though. Otherwise, I found the right size of fuse in the store, but i need to know which one to get, is it's amperage supposed to match that of my battery (12 amp hours i think)? I can't read what it says on the old burnt out one.

• Premium Member
Thanks, but i think it may have to do with the fact that i was running the motor at a fast speed in cold wether. That's just an newbie assumption though. Otherwise, I found the right size of fuse in the store, but i need to know which one to get, is it's amperage supposed to match that of my battery (12 amp hours i think)? I can't read what it says on the old burnt out one.

The fuse itself should have some indication of the current (amperes) it will blow at (e.g., "AGC-5") "Amp-Hours" is a measure of battery capacity, not of the current that is considered excessive for your camera. A camera technician could measure the load drawn by your camera under a variety of conditions to be sure the current is within the normal range.

Here is fuse information:

http://www.bussmann.com/

My NPR like to pop them when the motor gets slightly out of place to put the mirror in the proper viewing position. When I adjust the mirror with the inching nob the correct the view, it lifts the weighted part of the motor out of the optimal starting position, this over-torques then motor and pop goes the fuse.

I don't know if you have the same problem, and high speed can pop fuses, but it is worth a try because it is easy to fix. I simply take the motor off the camera, replace the mirror to the right viewing position, then reconnect the motor (being careful not to move anything). This usually solves the problem for a couple of months.