Which flash / P2 recorder to use with HDX900

David Wright

I have a Panasonic HDX900 and want to start recording to solid state in addition to tape. I am wondering which recorder would be the best option? Should I mount a Panasonic AG-HPG10 (P2) recorder on the camera or the Convergent Design XDR or perhaps the nanoflash? Also wondering if the Convergent Design products give me any increase in quality over the tape?

The reason I want to do this is that I shoot for a stock footage library that wants me to deliver in a file based workflow not on tape. Meanwhile I still have clients wanting a tape after a shoot, so have to find a way to provide both.

I would also like to avoid spending too much on a post system to duplicate material as I spend most of my time out shooting, not in a edit room. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thanks

David

www.lunaseafilms.com

The Panasonic HPG10 (aka P2 Gear) would be my choice. I'm not so sure about the Convergent Design unt which uses an odd codec. Also, there is a new P2 Gear the HPG20 on the horizon that will record in AVC-i 100 and will also do so via HD-SDI, just like its big brother the P2 Mobile. That is an excellent recording system.

• 3 weeks later...