Camera Help - PLEASE!

andres vargas

Hi Everyone,

Im a film student on an extremely tight budget and I recently decided to make a $250 investment on a Zeiss Moviflex MS-8 super 8 camera from ebay. It is in absolutely mint physical condition and worked fine the first time I used it, but the second time I took it out the motor died suddenly. After the repair place told me it was unfixable, I cleaned the battery contacts, banged it repeatedly to dislodge any grease and tried to advance the motor myself (someone recommended I move the film advance claw manually, but I dont know exactly where that is or how to get to it). I don't know what else to do and I'm on the verge of taking a sledge-hammer to the thing. I'm really not in a position to be flushing $250 down the toilet like this and frankly, its such a beautiful camera it would be a shame for it to go to waste. Is there anything else I could do? What could have happened to it? Any advice would be more than appreciated. Thank you.

Andres

Guest Owen Parker

Andres,

sorry to hear of your troubles. If the camera was working ok and suddenly stopped, sounds

to me as if it is probably a jam or mechanical failure. With the camera being 40 yrs old mechanical failure

is possible but I'd think a jam is more likely somewhere in the drive train (between the motor and the gate)

If you can't find a someone prepared to try and fix it you might have to go DIY.

Do you now anyone who's into small scale engineering? Any Uncles/Friends into fixing watches, radio

control models? The mechanical side of S8 cameras are relatively simple (note I say 'relatively')

If you're lucky it could be as simple as an old solder joint giving way somewhere in the power supply.

If you do know someone who is confident with small mechanics you can find a repair manual for your

camera at the following link. (last but one item on the page)

http://www.testreports.co.uk/photography/a...;ModelPage=true

best of luck with the camera