camera movement in the courtroom

Leon Rodriguez

I have been focusing on camera movement in the courtroom lately. I'm going to have to keep a fluid camera feel going or risk some dormant moments through some fairly dry but important exposition material. I've studied: To Kill a Mockingbird, The Verdict, Amistad, My Cousin Vinny and 12 Angry Men so far. Do any of you guys have favorite courtroom dramas that depict some creative camera movement or lighting in the courtroom?

In my mind's eye, I'm seeing some older black and white, noir looking, diagonal tilted, odd angle shots with "Mildred Pierce" cookie patterns on the back wall. but for the life of me, I can't recall which picture it was. Was it in T MEN? I'm thinking Stanley Alton -like. Oi Ve'... This is gonna drive me nuts... Anyway... As always, thanx in advance.

May I recommend INHERIT THE WIND (1960), director Stanley Kramer?

This b&w film has amazing camerawork, most of the film takes place in the courtroom.

Also great fun to watch Spencer Tracy and Fredric March battling each other. It's a great study in deep-focus cinematography and perfectly timed, ballet-like camera movement.

Inherit the Wind DVD

I hate shooting courtroom scenes. The angles and action are repetitive. I always burn a huge amount of film. Screen direction is complicated because everyone is always looking at each other. You have lots of reaction shots because you want to know what everyone is thinking.

I usually light the court room so I can do 360 degrees of shooting and then bring in floor units to increase the contrast and interest. I lay one piece of track across the courtroom in front of the judge and keep the camera moving. I then use a second camera to get tighter shots. Often times I will shoot the opposite screen direction with one camera so I have both screen directions covered.. One from the Jury one and one from the judge for example. I like to keep the cameras moving either on Dolly or Steadicam or even ?documentary style? camera movement to fight the static nature. I do burn a lot of film this way but it goes fast. Courtroom scenes are very time consuming.