How to remove 'C-Cup' on a CP16-A

Ron Flex

Hi, I need my viewfinder and lens fixing on my CP16A. I have been told to send in my c-cup as well.

Is the c-cup just the silver part protruding from the front of the camera or is it also the black c-shaped part as well?

I have removed 4 screws from the black part and 3 screws from the silver part. Nothing moves. I assume I need to remove a few screws from the inside near the film gate?

Can anyone please tell me how to remove the c-cup properly?

Thank you!

Hi Ron,

To remove the cup, you have to undo the C-mount threaded part at the bottom of the cup. A special key made for this purpose was included with new lenses. If you don't have it, you could make yourself one out of a flat piece of tool steel. Otherwise a lens spanner wrench might be used be used or find a pair of solid long nose pliers and grind the tips to fit the notches snugly. That should do the trick.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

• Premium Member

Ron, when you get everything back from repair, I suggest you do a visual lens check. Of course , the film test is the ultimate way to check the lens, but the visual test could prevent you wasting film. Set the camera at 5 feet from a target/newspaper etc.

Focus your diopter, making sure to focus on the GRAIN of the ground glass, not the format lines.

You should come to 5 feet on the lens focus mark, zoomed in tight.

If the lens is a 12 to 120mm, you will be at 120mm on the zoom.

If that looks ok, now check that the lens is calibrated to your camera:

Zoom the lens back to about 80mm or 100mm.

Focus on the target.

When you zoom the lens in tight, you should be perfectly focused at 5 feet.

Hope this helps.

Many thanks to Jean-Louis Seguin! I put the screws back in and removed the small collar with a screwdriver. I now have the c-cup removed and ready to be shipped off with the lens.

@Bernie, thanks. I will do that test when I have the working lens in my hands :)

I am getting the lens repaired at Visual Products as they quoted me with the cheapest price for the repair. I assume they are a good, reputable company?

Edited by Ron Flex