FCP 5.1 Mixing

Because I'm too lazy to read manuals etc, is there a FCP whiz that can tell me about 5.1 mixing in FCP?

Right now my mix comes out the same on all five speakers. This is ok, but I really need to assign the dialogue to the center speaker the way it's done in a proper 5.1 mix.

It's some what annoying to have the dialogue coming over my right shoulder and into my right ear because I'm closest to that speaker where I sit.

Thoughts? Notes?

Thanks

R,

I dunno. Have you tried reading the manual?

I just said, I'm too lazy to read the manual. Besides I probably threw it out thinking, I'll never need this :blink:

R,

• Premium Member
I just said, I'm too lazy to read the manual.

I know. I was just too lazy to give any advice. :P

Alright... I guess I should make a civil attempt at a serious answer. Are you attempting to do an audio master, or is this just for experimenting? An audio master will require a properly calibrated mixing suite (just as critical as one devoted to colorization).

Was "Dark Reprieve" mixed in 5.1? If so, then you've probably already observed a 5.1 mix. If not, you're going to really want to either observe a mix, or at least study up and ask a lot of questions to any mix engineer who's willing to answer them. Proper theatrical and broadcast levels and matrixing are really critical, and much different than mixing music for CD.

As far as FCP goes, it should have 5.1 audio presets. You should be able to assign tracks to a 6-channel (PCI card or firewire interface) that will comprise your 5.1 output.

Oh this is nothing to do with Dark Reprieve. It was mixed 5.1 at a studio.

Strictly experimental to see what I can do with FCP in creating a 5.1 mix.

R,

Oh this is nothing to do with Dark Reprieve. It was mixed 5.1 at a studio.

Strictly experimental to see what I can do with FCP in creating a 5.1 mix.

R,

It's certainly doable, given you have a seperate audio track for each channel. Soundtrack Pro, if you have access to it,

would be a bit more appropriate, given it's design for 5.1 mixing.