Canon Scoopic MS

Rolando Fernandez

• 4 weeks later...

Nice looking sequence in black & white, Rolando!

And you have done a great job of the processing in D-76. The contrast is superb - did you 'tweak' it digitally, what I mean is, did you make the contrast higher or the blacks deeper?

I have just bought a very fine used Canon Sound Scoopic SE model (from 1972) here in Sweden, and I´d be very interested to know what kind of anamorphic lens adapter you have been using on the 1.8/12,5 - 75mm Canon zoom? Can you focus it separately? I know that Panasonic makes a 16:9 widescreen anamorphic lens with a 72mm thread and that it costs a small fortune (see below).

Also, do you have any hints or tips on filming with a Scoopic? Any particular issues to look out for?

This camera has an updated external lead acid 12 Volt rechargable battery cell, which seems to work just fine.

All the best from Stockholm, Sweden,

Bengt :)

post-21496-1229470420.jpg

Hi , film processing was done by the book at controlled temperature and time , no contrast adjust.

What You see is the result of the chemical process only and telecine was done using 3:2 pulldown

it was shoot at 24fps, I just need to remove the 3:2 for proper frame rate.

The Canon Scoopic is a very nice camera and the lens is very sharp I use a 12v@7000mAh lead acid battery,

is less expensive than Nickel-Cad.

The anamorphic lens works very nice when zoom is at 30mm or more, also focus can be use by holding the

adapter in place using a support.

Hi Roland,

Thanks for the info. I must try this myself. The balanced quality all the way through is simply amazing.

I have a couple of questions re. the processing:

1. Do you wind the film onto a big drum for the processing, or how do you do it physically?

2. Do you have a controlled environment for the drying, to prevent dust from accumulating, and, did you use a wetting agent, like Kodak PhotoFlo?

And some additional questions re. the anamorphic lens:

1. I´d be very interested to know what kind of anamorphic lens you have (the make), since the front diameter of the Canon lens is so large (72mm)?

2. Have you custom-built a support (with rods?) from the tripod or camera plate, and how do you attach the anamorphic lens?

3. Does the anamorphic lens in itself has some form of focusing ring?

Thanks again!

Best regards from Stockholm,

Bengt

Edited by Bengt Freden

hello,

For the processing I use a Russian LOMO tank for 16mm found on ebay 3 years ago ,water temperature and developer concentration was controlled no need to use photoflo, cleaning was done before telecine ,room was very clean and air conditioner was also use.

The tank only hold 50ft. of film so I made this two times.

I made a lot of practice on B&W before making this reversal process.

For the anamorphic I use the LA7200 using a polarizing filter ring (no glass) glued to the adapter because tread dont match the Canon lens this allow to focus and let the anamorphic to move back and forth, the trick is to keep the anamorphic in horizontal position all the time.

My next project will be on Ektachrome super 8mm using E-6 chemistry , just for fun.

• Premium Member
For the anamorphic I use the LA7200 using a polarizing filter ring (no glass) glued to the adapter because tread dont match the Canon lens this allow to focus and let the anamorphic to move back and forth, the trick is to keep the anamorphic in horizontal position all the time.

Glued? I actually had no problem following your method with a broken polarizing filter attached to the LA7200 but it screwed in fine on both sides; the adapter and the camera... no glue needed. I still haven't found rods or anything to hold it in position however so I'm constantly adjusting the rotation before shooting. Of course, spinning it around while shooting gives a fun effect too. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Glued? I actually had no problem following your method with a broken polarizing filter attached to the LA7200 but it screwed in fine on both sides; the adapter and the camera... no glue needed. I still haven't found rods or anything to hold it in position however so I'm constantly adjusting the rotation before shooting. Of course, spinning it around while shooting gives a fun effect too. :rolleyes:

Hi Will, I'm a "gerrilla filmmaker" to glue or not to glue!, final work is what matters.

happy new year!!!

Hey, Rolando,

I had a look at the other YouTube clips. I was impressed with the anamoprhic (CinemaScope) video test: http://se.youtube.com/watch?v=GxkwEqHexVI&...feature=channel

Did you do that one with the Panasonic 16:9 LA7200 lens, too?

Did you try it with the Scoopic on 16mm film? I am interested because I have just bought a Scoopic. In case you did, was the resolution/sharpness good with this lens on the Canon zoom?

!Muchas gracias!

Bengt ;)

Hi , for thet video I use a Kowa 2x anamorphic , I'm shooting an 8mm regular film using the 2x also.

check this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDAKN-UXCA

on this I use the LA7200 but in a video camera

for the scoopic use the zoom at 30mm or more this will prevent some side distortions cause by

lens mismatch in wide-angle , but is minimal, focus is ok in 16mm.

I will post some test film soon.

Gracias!

Hi Rolando,

Thanks for your reply. Aha, the KOWA 2X lens - that is a big and heavy one, right? I was especially impressed that the horizon was perfectly straight even when you tilted the camera way down and the horizon was close to the upper edge.

I look forward to seeing a test with the Scoopic very much. In the test with the video camera and the LA7200 Panasonic lens you see a certain curvature of straight lines (barrel distorsion) near the edges of the format, but then again, that might be the video camera lens.

You have many creative approaches to filmmaking - it seems you have a complete film studio at your home. I also like the way you let your small kids learn about the magic of film, for example in 'The Little Projectionist'.

Thanks again.

Bengt ;)