Pirates Treasure

I am a young film maker who is on the verge of buying his first motion picture camera. Until now I have done my work solely with what I could borrow from my educational body.

About six months ago whilst cleaning out my back shed (a huge job) I came across my fathers old stills film camera. A (and lets see if I get this right) YASHICA TL-ELECTRO with some funky looking glass. Now first off, this whole set is in need of some serious loving and caring. From memory this camera followed us to motorcycle gatherings out in the middle of Australia's no where land, and probably took many a bruise and battering whilst there. BUT underneath the dirt, the glass still looks in good condition.

I am still trying to rap my head around the way a sensor and lens interact and effect each other and so am curious to know whether or not these lenses could be of any use to me in the world of digital motion pictures. I am planning to purchase one of either the 3k or 5k scarlets and am also curious to know if these lenses would work at all with these brains.

below is a list of the lenses (based on what is written around the lens end):

YASHINON-DS 50MM 1:1.9 YASHICA JAPAN AUTO

HANIMEX TELE-LENS 1:2.8 F=135MM

RAYNOX AUTO TELE-ZOOM 1:4 90MM-210MM

All seem to be screw mounts.

The Hanimex has CS inscribed on the back end of the lens, is this a class of lens?

I have attached a picture of the Hanimex to help with the ident.

I know this all seems quite noobish but I am essentially new to lenses and cameras for that matter.

I hope there are some real gurus out there who can help me with this.. thanks.

post-38010-1227222057.jpg

• Premium Member

The camera is quite a nice SLR if you're interested in using it. It's a great way to learn about exposure, lighting,a nd composition. The lenses are all M42 mount to fit the camera. They'll also fit some pentax cameras and the M42 mount version of a Krasnogorsk, a russian made 16mm camera. I'm sure you can get an adapter to use those lenses on a RED, I don't know offhand where though.

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Yes I know of the Krasnogorsk and was considering investing in one a while back but decided against it due to its reputation for being a noisy piece of equipment, I want sound sync :) I posted this query on another blog as-well and was also told that I might be able to find myself an adapter for the red, but I'm interested to know whether or not the 2/3 or s35 sensors of scarlet would work well with these lenses.

quoting to save time here :) :

"Do you know though if the lens would be happily supported by the sensor. Is it at risk of cropping or lessening the quality of the image in some way or another?? Why? I'm afraid I don't understand the dynamics all to well.

Sorry again, I reiterate my noob status "

I would love to put the camera itself back into action but I'm afraid it my need a good service first :(

Hi, Nicholas. I'm a K-3 guy with the M42 mount.

I wouldn't make a camera decision based on those lenses--they're not what you would call spectacular and better ones can be found very cheap on e-Bay.

I've been buying lenses left and right off of there, looking for the gems, and there are some great values to be found. In addition, remember that if you go to 16mm K-3 with M42 mount, your 135 is now in effect a 270. So the ones you need are the wide-angles. I have an 8mm, 28mm, 35mm, and 37mm--and the only one I can consider wide is the 8! (The 16mm I want is $300, but in this economy, it'll wait.)

Also, you can get a K-3 for around $200, and there's a Danish company now making a crystal sync motor for it (real easy install), but it's $500!

http://www.electrologic.dk/

Not saying this is the way to go. Just one of the possibilities. I went this route because I'm a rank amateur/hobbyist...it was a cheap way to start...and I wanted to do film.

Hi-

You can get an inexpensive, screw-on adapter that will allow you to "convert" those lenses to Nikon mount (or just about any other stills camera; that's one of the great things about m42 lenses), and thereby mount to a nikon-fronted RED, or Arri or Mitchell or whatever. Ira's right though, the lenses you have probably aren't real cherries, but keep them and test them, they may have a certain aesthetic quality that you like.

Thanks Patrick, appreciate the info

Any idea where I might find these screw adaptors, or even names for said items.. Also would they then be compatible with a b4 mount, or c mount? or only a Nikon type mounts? only asking because I think I may end up with a 2/3 sensor red brain with limited compatibility to only b4 and c. Plus (another silly question) is a 2/3 sensor comparable to 16mm, would this double the focal range of a 35mm lens such as mine? :)

Thanks guys :) learning alot