New RED Plugin for FCP/Color

Matthew Rogers

No one had posted anything about this here yet and I know that many of you don't read Reduser. Therefore, I thought I would let you all know that RED has released a plugin for FCP & Color to be able to access footage in FCP and now Color (yes, you could access footage before in FCP, but this offers another way.)

Also, as a few of us on Reduser have found out today, you can now edit in any proxy size on FCP and finish at any size up to 2k in Color without doing RED's new elaborate workflow for the plugin. That makes the workflow for FCP VERY easy to do now.

Matthew

• Premium Member
No one had posted anything about this here yet and I know that many of you don't read Reduser. Therefore, I thought I would let you all know that RED has released a plugin for FCP & Color to be able to access footage in FCP and now Color (yes, you could access footage before in FCP, but this offers another way.)

Also, as a few of us on Reduser have found out today, you can now edit in any proxy size on FCP and finish at any size up to 2k in Color without doing RED's new elaborate workflow for the plugin. That makes the workflow for FCP VERY easy to do now.

Matthew

Are you saying this will allow you to directly import a .R3D file, edit it, and spit out, for example, a 1920 x 1080 file such as, for example, a TV studio might be able to accept with no questions asked?

How much, and what is the minimum system you can do this with? This week.

(Excuse my ignorance but the signal-to-noise radio on Reduser is currently in the order of approximately 0.0000001 to 1 with all the cyber-salivating over JJ's latest cinematographic Hentai :lol: )

Are you saying this will allow you to directly import a .R3D file, edit it, and spit out, for example, a 1920 x 1080 file such as, for example, a TV studio might be able to accept with no questions asked?

How much, and what is the minimum system you can do this with? This week.

(Excuse my ignorance but the signal-to-noise radio on Reduser is currently in the order of approximately 0.0000001 to 1 with all the cyber-salivating over JJ's latest cinematographic Hentai :lol: )

Not exactly. There are three ways to edit now. First: Use the Log & Transfer tool to ingest "native" R3D files (much like the P2 MXF import) to create QT files that are "native" format. Second: Transcode to ProRes for an offline or transcode straight to ProRes to finish without going back to the original R3D files (this is much better quality than transcoding from the proxies.) Third: Edit with the proxies and send to Color to access the full R3D.

It's still not the world's best workflow, but it's made things easier and I'm already seeing less noise in my images since I'm now not compressing the image twice.

So I guess to answer your first question, yes. Transcode into a HQ ProRes file and you would be done (or actually go to a native file and then just export to whatever format you need.)

Second question, dual 2Ghz is RED's spec. However, with my MacPro 8 core things are still sluggish. I believe they are not taking use of all 8 cores yet, so that might get improved soon (especially with Snow Leopard 10.6 coming out early!)

Matthew

Matthew

• Premium Member
However, with my MacPro 8 core things are still sluggish. I believe they are not taking use of all 8 cores yet, so that might get improved soon

It may also be that the debayering is written in a high level language like C++ -- easy to write the code, but it runs slow. I know that Dalsa had much faster debayering because they went to the expense of getting an assembly programmer to do it.

-- J.S.

It may also be that the debayering is written in a high level language like C++ -- easy to write the code, but it runs slow. I know that Dalsa had much faster debayering because they went to the expense of getting an assembly programmer to do it.

Actually, it looks like it's only using 3 processors:( It's a better workflow, but still not there quite yet. Hopefully, the next two months should make a huge difference.

Matthew

http://www.studiodaily.com/blog/?p=603 quotes 15 seconds a frame on one core for Dalsa. When I was last optimizing the RED code, it was less than 1 second for a frame on one core. But the 4k footage runs through either of two pathways in the Color workflow - (and switchable with the preference pane for FCP / Quicktime) - either 2k from 4k "half standard" which is very fast indeed, or "half high" which does a full demosaic and downsample from 4k to 2k, but it's optimized for that purpose and hence runs much faster than a full demosaic to 4k followed by a downsample.

Graeme