Where to Buy for the UK

Josh Thurston

Hi, apologies for starting another "where to buy..." thread. I did search through older posts but they all seem to be pre 2007.

Basically, as the title suggests, where is the "best" place to buy super8 stock for the UK?

I found Blue CineTech in another thread, but they are very limited in choice.

They will do for now, as I will only be buying a few rolls whilst I get to grips with the camera - My Bauer only supports 25/100, 40/160 so I'm not sure what's going to happen with 64 or 200 etc. But what about larger orders or different stock?

Also, I have plans for a 1080 or 720 transfer, but I would want it to HDD, not DV or DVD, so the facility would probably have to be in UK (to drop off HDD)?

Is there anywhere in UK that does HD transfers of super8?

Thanks

Edited by Josh Thurston

Hi Josh,

you mention Blue's stock as being limited. Note that the 5 super 8 stocks that they sell are in fact the only super 8 stocks that kodak produce. Beyond those stocks in super 8 there are only the two other colour reversal stocks (100d ektachrome cut from DS8 7285 packaged by Wittner, Spectra and Pro8mm, and the Velvia 50d perforated in Germany and packaged by Spectra and Wittner) and then the Pro8mm colour neg packaged stock (available from Pro8 and Wittner). There is also Kahl film in Germany if you are game.

As for the Bauer, they are nice little camears, but I think you will find that it in point of fact can only read 40T and 160T. It might mention 25d and 100d in the manual or somewhere (possibly) but I believe Bauer cameras don't have a filter notch reader. As such, they don't read daylight speeds at all. Yes, they can expose 160t with filter as 100, but that is not the same as reading 100d. This isn't that big an issue however. There is an easy trick with bauers.

For 64t:

1. Flip the bulb/sun switch to bulb and take a reading then flip the switch back to sun.

2. Roll the aperture dial to the setting you got in step 1.

That will give you correct exposure for 64t with filter.

You can also use Tri-X black and white straight with no change (there is no asa notch for 200 asa anyway)

You can also use the colour neg 200t no problem.

You can't use Plus-x or 100d on auto though.

cheers,

richard

Thanks Richard, I've realised now that pro8 etc recycle stock, hence their selection.

Thanks for the info on the camera too - I didn't realise the Bauers didn't read 25/100 as such. I guess it makes sense, as the Canons apply the 85 filter via a notch, whereas I think the Bauer A512 is manually engaged. So it's possible the switch would affect the light meter and not the cartridge.

I'm going to shoot a comprehensive test roll of 64T and 200T so I'll see how the camera behaves.

Cheers for the advice

Josh

I'm going to shoot a comprehensive test roll of 64T and 200T so I'll see how the camera behaves.

Hi Josh,

Not that I would wish to discourage you from going for both (since you say you are planning to buy from us!), but my best advice would be to put one single roll of 64T through it, testing all functions of the camera, and wait till you get the developed film back. I have no doubt that the guys who you bought the camera from are honest & reputable, but few dealers shoot test rolls through their cameras before selling them.

PM me and I'll do you a deal on film/process/telecine. It is well worth doing a camera test before throwing a load of money down the drain.

Bart