Moonlight

Hi,

Its my first post here on Cinematography.com. I'm really interested in how moonlight has been portrayed since the birth of film. Specifically its colour and quality in terms of it being a hard or soft light source.

Can anyone recommend any films, old and new that have interesting moonlight scenes, that use a colour that is not ordinarily blue?

Also please let me know what your favourite moonlit scene is too.

Any feedback would be great!

With thanks,

Phil

• Premium Member

Hey Phil,

Welcome to the forum.

I, for no particular reason, always think of Ladyhawke. Vittorio Storaro did the pictures. Classic day-for-night, blue tinted moonlight shots. The movie? Not so great.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089457/

We've hit this topic a few times. A search might be worth the effort.

I've had a quick browse with search, found little about information about films that featured interesting and different methods of portraying moonlight.

More replies would be really grateful.

You can include interesting artists too, that have painted a moonlit scene.

I, for no particular reason, always think of Ladyhawke. Vittorio Storaro did the pictures. Classic day-for-night, blue tinted moonlight shots. The movie? Not so great.

The more out of the ordinary the better in terms of quality and colours for examples.

One of my favs is an early technicolor feature called, "Doctor X" (1932). Ray Rennehan (one of pioneers of color cinematography) was the D.P. Three strip was not yet available for live action, so they used two strip, which only recorded the red and green colors of the spectrum. With this in mind, they used the limitations quite nicely for the film, which involved a disfigured cannibal who killed during the full moon. The light has a deathly green look to it that gives the whole film a "mortuary" feel, as one critic put it. Warner Bros put out a new transfer of the sole surviving color print a few years ago in their Masters of Horror collection. It's a wonderful pre-code horror film and a prime example of color cinema. Check it out.

Best,

BR