Shooting first 16 mm (Help!)

Jack Honeycutt

Folks...

I have been shooting some Super8, and now plan on shooting my first 16 mm test footage. I have a very old, basic, Cine-Kodak Model E 16 mm camera (made between about 1937 to 1946). It has a 3.5/20mm lens on it. It is a double sprocket camera. It came with a Type A # 85 filter made by Tiffen.

I have had a hard time finding double sprocket (is that offically called 2R?) film. I finally found some at Chambles. They had Ektachrome 7240, 7250, and 7251. As I understand it, of the three, 7240 is the sharpest of the three? So, to shoot 7240 outside, I need a filter right? The Kodak web site says I need a Wratten Filter 85B to shoot outside. The Tiffen literature (that came with my camera) says that the Type A #85 filter is equal to a Wratten #85, not a Wratten #85 B. They are close enought, right?

I wanted to buy some Fomapan from John Schwind. He has double perf for $15.00 a roll, but he is out of stock. I have seen it for about $22 or $23 for a 100 foot roll, plus $8.00 for shipping (John wants $2.00). I am trying to find a better price until John gets more stock. Any pointers?

I thought I would go outside on a clear sunny day, and shoot off a couple rolls and see what I come up with. I have a tripod, light meter & a 18% gray card, Any advice for a first shoot with a old time 16 mm camera is apperciated. I know very little.

Thanks in advance.

Jack the new kid

• Premium Member

Give some thought to shooting color negative, and having a lab make prints or transfers for you. Kodak still has a variety of films available with 2R-2994 perforations:

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...amerafilm04.pdf

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/support/...=0.1.4.13&lc=en