converting double sprocket to single

Jack Honeycutt

Folks...

My old 16 mm camera is a double sprocket camera. I see that most 16 mm film is single sprocket. I have heard about folks convering some cameras from double sprocket to single and they seem to work.

I have a old 16 mm Cine-Kodak Model E camera. It is a *very basic* simple camera. I see that I can remove the sprocket assembly. I thought about grinding off one set of sprockets.

Has anyone done this? Will the film advance properly in my camera if I do this? If so, would it be more advantages to grind off the top or bottom set of teeth?

Advice appreciated.

jack

Up until a couple of years ago, I had a camera (Arri 16BL) that used double-perf film. At the time, I never had any trouble ordering double-perf straight from Kodak.

Unless there's been some drastic changes at Kodak, I assume they still make/sell double-perf.

- - - - -

Chance Shirley

Birmingham, Alabama

• Premium Member
Up until a couple of years ago, I had a camera (Arri 16BL) that used double-perf film. At the time, I never had any trouble ordering double-perf straight from Kodak.

Unless there's been some drastic changes at Kodak, I assume they still make/sell double-perf.

- - - - -

Chance Shirley

Birmingham, Alabama

The October 2004 Kodak catalog still has 2R perforations available for some films. Some may be "Finish to Order":

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...amerafilm04.pdf

To Jack Honeycutt

Sorry to ask but why wanna convert from the 2-perf to sngle-perf ? Can your camera nicely exposed the 2-perf films ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.. the usage of a single-perf simply because of the Super-16 format. Any other comments ?

To Jack Honeycutt

Sorry to ask but why wanna convert from the 2-perf to sngle-perf ? Can your camera nicely exposed the 2-perf films ?

Correct me if I'm wrong.. the usage of a single-perf simply because of the Super-16 format.  Any other comments ?

HuatKim....

I want to shoot some 16mm color reversal film like K-40 for example. Kodak no longer sells double perf color reversal film. The only double perf they still sell is B&W Plus X. And they are often out of stock on it (like right now).

If I had a camera that would take single perf, I could shoot a lot of different reversal film stocks.

jack

The October 2004 Kodak catalog still has 2R perforations available for some films.  Some may be "Finish to Order":

http://www.kodak.com/US/plugins/acrobat/en...amerafilm04.pdf

Thanks for the info John.

I sure wish Kodak would start selling Ektachrome 100D in 16mm 100 ft. spools....

jack

• Premium Member
Thanks for the info John. 

I sure wish Kodak would start selling Ektachrome 100D in 16mm 100 ft. spools....

jack

Unfortunately, the likely small volumes sold worldwide would not justify finishing even a single wide roll to that format. :(