Rate my Resume

Tyler Leisher

It's appears that all your experience is on the office side of production. You state your goal on the resume as producer-director, so if I were to see your resume, I wouldn't think you'd be interested or dedicated to the camera dept or such. I'd only consider you for office jobs leading toward your stated goal, like PA, or maybe a higher up position like producer if it were a lower budget production.

Your skills cover a lot of equipment that doesn't directly apply to any jobs you have done. Due to that, I suggest reformatting your skills section and instead put them into a description of each job you preformed. That way it will show your application of those skills better. As an example, if you list your duties of your segment producing job to include make call sheets, then we know that is a skill you know and have experience with. If you learned &/or assisted with the editing or use of film equipment, etc on a specific job, then I would specify that. If you learned them in school, I suggest listing the education and then you can elaborate on your experience there. You don't want a potential employer to waste too much time reading through irrelevant skills though. Make your resume concise and relevant to each job you are applying for.

You also might want to consider adding more info, such as production company, on some of the lesser known projects to give it more credibility and recognition.

Edited by Michele Peterson

That is a good idea,

All of my experience has been on the set stuff, nothing really in office. (What makes it seem that way, so I can change it?)

I do like the idea of switching up the skills for description of what I did.

When you say that I should add production companies for some of the lesser known ones.. some of them (Like Up All Night, TX Connect or A Period of Two) were small companies (Sometimes student films), should I include that information or leave it the way it is for those?

That is a good idea,

All of my experience has been on the set stuff, nothing really in office. (What makes it seem that way, so I can change it?)

When you say that I should add production companies for some of the lesser known ones.. some of them (Like Up All Night, TX Connect or A Period of Two) were small companies (Sometimes student films), should I include that information or leave it the way it is for those?

Prodcuers/Directors/Segment producers are not usually running audio mixers, setting up cameras, operating the camera and arranging lights. After I posted here, I saw your other post listing your job duties and it looks like you are handling much more than what is typically one job. I think that makes it much more important to list your duties and explain all that you do. I have worked as a segment producer for documentary shows and my job was to find stories to cover (for approval of the producer and exec producer), arrange clearances, times, dates, crew, equipment etc. While field producing, I was not the one shooting or lighting (although I started with that company doing such and would occasional on shoots I wasn't field producing). I would be the one arranging what shots would be done that day, in an efficient order, that all necessary shots got completed, making sure clearances were signed, and mostly asking the questions during interviews. It was mostly an office job because it took several days of pre-production for everyday in the field at an event. If you want to get into producing liek that, then list it as segment producer, but if you want to get into camera work, then consider adjusting you title (only if it still holds true and your employer will back you up) to something like producer/shooter, or maybe even studio technician.

I personally would include more than less as far as company info. Any company is better than none. If someone can look it up, all the better. As far as people's names go, I wouldn't list anyone that isn't recognizable. IF they are student films, then be honest about them. Nothing looks worse than people trying to pass off student project as soemthing more. Even if that isn't your intention, someone reading your resume make misconstrue that.

• Premium Member
1. What do you think I do/what job am I applying for?

2. What job am I qualified for?

3. What job would you hire me for?

1. I can't tell what you're applying for but truthfully, it looks like you are a fresh-out-of-school graduate or maybe even still a student. Your past experience is all in production yet you list camera, grip, and electric equipment, and editing software in your tech experience. Nobody that hires you for production cares if you can set up a camera or do some basic editing.

2. You look qualified for PA work and probably some AD work on smaller productions.

3. Probably what I said in 2.

1. I can't tell what you're applying for but truthfully, it looks like you are a fresh-out-of-school graduate or maybe even still a student. Your past experience is all in production yet you list camera, grip, and electric equipment, and editing software in your tech experience. Nobody that hires you for production cares if you can set up a camera or do some basic editing.

2. You look qualified for PA work and probably some AD work on smaller productions.

3. Probably what I said in 2.

Chris,

take a look at the latest draft and tell me if you still think the same things:

http://www.tylerleisher.com/ResumeDraft3.pdf

• Premium Member
Chris,

take a look at the latest draft and tell me if you still think the same things:

http://www.tylerleisher.com/ResumeDraft3.pdf

That is much better but I think you can lose the job duties stuff. Anyone hiring you will know what those jobs entail. If they are not clear about something, they will ask you.

That is much better but I think you can lose the job duties stuff. Anyone hiring you will know what those jobs entail. If they are not clear about something, they will ask you.

Hm, that's what I was thinking. What should I fill the void with though?

Also, references.. keep them or just have the bar at the bottom?

Everywhere.;) It's not so much a place as a state of mind.

Exactly.

I agree that I should get rid of the descriptions.. but if I do that it leaves the whole thing feeling empty. Is there anything else I could add onto it, other than the producers/directors/etc of the stuff I worked on?

• Premium Member
Exactly.

I agree that I should get rid of the descriptions.. but if I do that it leaves the whole thing feeling empty. Is there anything else I could add onto it, other than the producers/directors/etc of the stuff I worked on?

You don't need to have loads of stuff filling the page. Just put the important stuff, format it so it's easy to read. Within that "easy to read" guideline, make it a nice design. Make it clean and good to look at and I think it will serve you well.