I'm Rated-Thanks MPAA

• Premium Member

When I was a kid we went through that 70's, switch to metric thing in school. It went over like a lead balloon. I do have to admit that it is a way easier system than the cobbled-together, random-ass, knock-kneed, English system, no matter how used to it I am.

When I was a kid we went through that 70's, switch to metric thing in school. It went over like a lead balloon. I do have to admit that it is a way easier system than the cobbled-together, random-ass, knock-kneed, English system, no matter how used to it I am.

Yep....try working out how man feet are in 2 3/4 miles in your head. Unless you're a math genius you'll need a calculator.

How many meters in 2 3/4 KMs? Well I can do that in my head in 1 second and I'm a math idiot.

R,

Yep....try working out how man feet are in 2 3/4 miles in your head. Unless you're a math genius you'll need a calculator.

R,

I am not a math genius, but 2 3/4 mi. is 22 furlongs or 14,520 feet. If you want to make it hard, use decimal miles.

Another good way of doing it is remembering a mile is 99% of 5,333 1/3 feet.

Granted I can't do that as fast as km to m, but then what is 7/8 of a klick?

Making the numbers even tens gives you a false sense of ease of use, when in reality, numbers are going to get ugly, whether metric or U.S. Customary/imperial, because that is the way things are in the real work.

Finding out how many 7-meter partitions you need on 54, 288 m of roadway is just as much a hassle as how many 16-1/2 foot. partitions you need on 23 mi. 4,566 ft. of road.