Sim Video Accessories

Brett Manyluk

Greetings all,

I'm curious if anyone has any comments on the Sim Video accessories made for the Red. It's pretty much universally agreed that the Red produced accessories have issues of reliability and Element Technica produces a higher-quality set of base plate, rod mounts, EVF bracket and tophandle. Does anyone have experience with the Sim Video Top Handle, EVF mount, battery bracket, and their Arri dovetail compatible baseplate? Any reviews on quality, ease of use, etc?

...Bueller?

Thanks in advance,

Brett

Brett,

We found the SIM Video EVF mount somewhat clumsy compared to the ET solution. One of my favorite configurations is a hybrid of the ET EVF and SIM Handle kit.

Fletch Red

I prefer the SIM Video design for the Video break out box as it gives another flat surface to velcro/mount to.

The configuration does have it's limitations. If you're looking to record to Red Drive you will need to get a Switronix Double V-Lock Adapter Switronix and mount a v-lock male connection to the Red Drive (we do this with velcro heavy duty dual lock). You shoot with a battery on one side and the Red Drive on the other. Alternatively you can run with long bottom rods and mount the Red Drive Cradle to that.

The hybrid system still allows top rod mounting from the front Red top mount but there is no rear top rod support. The pure SIM system does not provide top rod mounting.

For CF only recording it's a great rig, very compact. Those coming from an ENG HD style camera background seem to prefer the setup and those who are use to working with film cameras prefer the full battle rig.

We use the ET bridge and dovetail so I can't advise on the SIM combo.

You will need to check with SIM to see if the do a 'handle/battery mount' only option. You then need a custom bracket to fit from the SIM handle (we got ours from Fletcher Camera), one Red Top Mount

and the ET EVF Mount.