Lens Baby (35mm Nikon lens) on PL mount movie camera?

Antonio Cisneros

Hey All

So I'm shooting a film in April that I'm super excited about. It's a film about dementia and for POV shots I've been thinking of using shift & tilts lenses. Recently though I've fell in love with the Lens Baby Composer (http://www.lensbaby.com/), a still photography lens that is basically a cheap man's shift & tilt for SLR cameras. I find it so much easier to operate than an actual shift & tilt system. It is easy enough I could pull focus and change the plane of focus completely by myself.

I've heard they used the lens baby on "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" but I don't know how they mounted a still photography lens on a motion picture 35mm camera. We're using a Movie Cam Compact 1.

Does anyone have experience with mounting still photo lenses (specifically nikon mount) on a PL mount system? Is there an adapter or do you have to rebuild the lens mount? Any figures of cost or problems to watch out for?

thanks all and please let me know

Happy holidays

I had the original Lens Baby to start with then bought the Lens Baby Composer about two weeks ago. Composer is leaps and bounds above the first two Lens Babies... much easier to use and much more precise. I bought the full package with a pin hole system that is really cool-- used correctly and you can achieve in-camera results beyond almost anything before possible.

I've been working with this system with the RED ONE and EOS adapter. If it wasn't available to the masses, I'd have kept the secret to myself.

Thanks for the tips.

If I want to specifically use the composer lens baby on a 35mm camera does anyone know how this is possible? I've read of adapters but I heard that your loose your focus to infinity. Any advice?

thank!

What do you mean? You can use a PL mount Composer on a PL mounted 35mm camera. Why do you need the adapter? If you have a non-PL mount camera, then yes. And the use of adapters will change the flange focal distance and so it becomes a task of finding the right combination of lens to adapt and mount to adapt to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flange_focal_depth

Edited by Saul Rodgar