Make My Resume Awesome

Hello my darlings.

Happy 2009! I think the last time I asked for help with a resume, it was 2005 and I had just been flung unceremoniously from the comforts of art school into what we know as "the real world". I have a resume that I use when I morph into Annie Wengenroth The Camera Assistant that I find to be perfectly adequate. However, I'm looking for some more general advice as far as content and format, because I want to make an additional resume to show to rental houses and film schools who might be looking for a camera technician.

I attached my current AC resume, as well as the one I am working on now (note: it's really, really rough right now!) so that you may mock and advise accordingly. As far as rental house/tech work, I'm willing to start small with basic tasks and train as needed, or even to work as a prep tech again in order to move up within the company. It just depends on the structure of the shop and what they're looking for; I'm trying to be flexible and open-minded. I like working with the gear and helping customers. One of the things I really enjoyed about working as a floor tech at CSC was making sure that my AC got everything he or she needed in the camera package, while at the same time, trying to find creative solutions for various filming conditions. And I don't mind "grunt work" either. ;)

I'm familiar with Arri camera systems and did some pretty extensive overhauls on the school's SR mags while down in Savannah last year. I understand how the Arri parts books are laid out and am comfortable with basic maintenance of film cameras and the tools involved. I'm also pretty good with computers and software and can easily remove Fed Ex labels from camera cases. :thumbs up:

So here we are then. How do I put this in a resume in a more organized fashion? Any thoughts or ideas?

"Make My Resume' Awesome"-Add a picture :D

Seriously though, I would also include some of your notable AC work so your potential employers know you have practical experience on both sides of the counter and can recommend equipment and talk to costumers an an equal level. I'd also try and condense it to a single page for practical purposes and so potential employers don't, on a subconscious level, feel it a chore to plow through your resume. Also, try, without seeming like you're trying, to make your past experience sound like you were the most important person at that place if possible. Just my 2 cents worth. B)

Steve,

Thanks for the advice. I think it's not so much the content I need to work on as it is the wording of specific job descriptions. Then I guess I have to figure out which AC stuff I should stick on there. Do you think listing the cameras I'm familiar with is overkill? This is something I did when I was first starting out and I just did it again because I figured it was something a rental house would notice and appreciate.

I think it's always a good idea to show some of your production experience. I would imagine even rental houses would be more interested in someone who has field prod. experience and has better knowledge of the clients' needs.

I should work on my resume, simplify it a bit. Right now there's a daunting list of productions that probably shouldn't be on there. It's nearly 3 pages, I'd like to cut it down and simplify it to just one page...as a former recruiter I should know better, ha ha

No, Annie, I think it's most appropriate to list some of the equipment you're familiar with, it is after all pertinent to the job you're seeking. as is your on-set experience and expertise. The second revision DOES look better. You compressed the camera equipment list which is one thing that bothered me on the first draft.

Now as for the critiques. I see a few things I would change and I'll explain why. First of all, I would change:

I would like to expand upon my current skills in 16mm and 35mm camera maintenance and repair while continuing to learn about new advances in motion picture camera technology.

to

I am currently expanding upon my skills in 16mm and 35mm camera maintenance and repair while continuing to learn about new advances in motion picture camera technology.

It infers you are a self motivated go getter that keeps up on the latest technologies while not relying on them to train you. They don't want to train you or motivate you, they want to hire someone who already highly motivated and knows how to do the job. Capish? B)

I would also change

Cleaned and maintained all Arriflex and Moviecam 16mm and 35mm camera systems; overhauled Arriflex SR magazines; shipped cameras, lenses, magazines, and accessories for repairs and servicing as needed; communicated with rental houses and camera companies in regards to various technical support issues.

to

Cleaned and maintained various models of Arriflex and Moviecam 16mm and 35mm camera systems also overhauled Arriflex SR magazines as well as shipped cameras, lenses, magazines, and accessories for repairs and servicing as needed while maintaining communication with rental houses and camera companies in regards to various technical support issues over this 2 year period.

It indicates you have a great deal of experience handling people and problems and know several different camera systems which will be of benefit to potential employers. and REMEMBER, when they ask you in the interview if you're familiar with a camera system you're NOT familiar with, the answer is ALWAYS "Yes, yes I am" once you have the job, go home and bone up on it.

I would further change

Camera Floor Technician/Assistant to Digital Department

-Prepared Arriflex 16mm 35mm, and HD camera packages and accessories for various production companies; assisted with organization and maintenance of Arriflex digital media and camera packages.

to

Camera Technician- Digital Department

-Prepared all Arriflex 16mm 35mm, and HD camera packages and accessories for several production companies as well as organized and maintained Arriflex camera packages and digital media.

Which is essentially the job you are now trying to get. Don't worry too much about WHAT designation you were on the team that did the work, the fact is you were on the team and did do the work.

Finally I would change

Education

Savannah College of Art and Design: Bachelor of Fine Arts 2005

to

Education-Motion Picture equipment: training in both maintenance and practical application

Savannah College of Art and Design-Film major: Receive a Bachelor of Fine Arts degree in 2005

It relates back to the job you're applying for and shows you have been trained in your chosen profession earned your degree in just what they are looking for and have been working in the field every since graduation. Also you MAY want to use Ann in your heading instead of Annie. Ann sounds strong and mature, you can always say"Oh you can call me Annie" and you come off as friendly in their presence and leave out the "Assistant" in the heading, you're applying for a job as a technician, not to be someone's assistant. It works in the body of the reusme' because it shows you have practical experience and can talk to customers on a equal level but it hurts you in the heading because it weakens your credibility as a technician, so:

Ann Wengenroth

Camera Technician

Hope this helps :D

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Perhaps this is just a bit of paranoia, but wouldn't it be best to keep the specifics of a resume off of a public forum?

What if a potential employer stumbles upon this group proof-reading session?

Damn you, Karl! :P Like oh my god, I should get better curtains because there's probably a job recruiter hiding in the bushes after Facebook-stalking me, eventually tracking me to this post, and then reading my resume and being like, "Well, this James Steven Beverly guy has better ideas, so I don't know about this chick..." Oh wait, I don't have bushes. Heck, it's not like I'm posting my Social Security number.

Well for what it's worth, my legal name is Anne, so, with an "e". But yes, I do see your point. Also, I didn't major in film...I majored in sound design....so it seems wrong to lie...? Other than that I think the revisions would work. Oh yeah...the only other thing that's a little awkward is that when I was at CSC as a floor tech, I was ALSO working occasionally in the Digital Department. So it was technically two different job descriptions.

Anyway, further tweaks shall commence now. Thanks Steve! (and Karl, for making ME paranoid! Ha ha)

Anne, though I admire your honesty, this is a resume', I guarantee, they'll be no polygraph involved. :rolleyes: Actors lie on their resume and abilities ALL the time, if they didn't, they'd never get their first job. BUT if you feel compelled by conscience and the almighty to be completely honest, let's see if we can't make your collage experience more filmic. What kind of sound design dd you do? Was it perhaps Motion Picture Sound Design? (if it was, I have another job you could do on my film and if it wasn't is is now) and if the CSC job was both as a floor tech and in the Digital Department ( "occasionally" doesn't enter into it, you were there you did the job therefore you're qualified to do it) then make them the 2 most important jobs at the University and they were entrusted to you. You're not lying, you are at WORST exaggerating a bit and if you IMAGINE you're the only one doing THAT to get a job like this, you're living in a dream world with lemon drop clouds and marshmallow ponies :D .

Come on girl,, you're a woman breaking into a traditional man's role so you need every advantage you can get to at least level the playing field. If there is one person I know that could do it, it's you but just remember this is the real world where people will cut your throat to get your job and would NOT be above playing the ol' boy's club (Hell, I'D do it if I wanted the job) and not feel bad about it so beep your horn just as loud as you possibly can and have TOTAL confidence in your abilities and talents, you deserve to. You're tough, strong, smart and a terrific find for any employer who would be lucky to have you on their staff so be proud of your dedication and work ethic and let them have the rare opportunity of being allowed to include you in their organization. In short, don't give them any reason NOT to hire you if you have any say at all in it. Try and think like they think. If you were them, who would YOU be looking to hire and why. B)

Oh and lying on your resume' isn't even CALLED lying, it's called padding, (mine could have been called "An Advanced Course in Creative Writing" but then again I have a birth defect, I was born without a conscience which is why I started producing) keep THAT in mind while you're "tweaking" :D

Annie, in looking at it again on that one line :

Cleaned and maintained all Arriflex and Moviecam 16mm and 35mm camera systems

Maybe make it

Serviced and maintained all Arriflex and Moviecam 16mm and 35mm camera systems

It makes it sound like you did more with the them than just wipe them off with a rag. I'm sure you oiled them, check the gates, etc. so "serviced' is accurate and even if you DID just wipe them off with a rag, go ahead and call that "serviced". B)

Annie, in looking at it again on that one line :

Cleaned and maintained all Arriflex and Moviecam 16mm and 35mm camera systems

Maybe make it

Serviced and maintained all Arriflex and Moviecam 16mm and 35mm camera systems

It makes it sound like you did more with the them than just wipe them off with a rag. I'm sure you oiled them, check the gates, etc. so "serviced' is accurate and even if it was only minor service. If you DID just wipe them off with a rag, go ahead and call that "serviced" anyway. B)

:lol: Gotta go hose down the ol' Moviecam now....thank you for your kind words Steve...will you buy me a marshmallow pony if I get the job?:D I am seriously very flattered by what you said and it means a lot to me. I have 3 words for anyone thinking of "cutting my throat" to take a job out from under me: BRING IT ON PAL! Oh, that's 4. But you get the idea.

I rarely speak of having to fight both to get work, and, perhaps more importantly, for your right to party. This is because I initially prefer to avoid conflict. However, maybe it's worth thinking about. Hm...padding...tweaking...and incidentally it WAS a little bit of post-production sound for film and television. We had a few recording and mixing classes for music production too, but who needs to know!

For you baby, anything! I'll buy ya a whole herd of CHOCOLATE-COVERED marshmallow ponies if you get the job!!! Hey so see you did sound for film so you DID major in film in a round about way..... with the word "majored" loosely defined, you may be exaggerating through your teeth but once you get the job, you can always pray for forgiveness......hallalluya :rolleyes:

Nice to know about the sound experience though, I want to do something with the wind sounds in Blood Moon sorta have an faint whisper of screams, howls and animal sounds layered underneath to help set the audience on edge. I was inspired by the way Kubrick used sound in The Shining and 2001 especially the opening sequence of The Shining when the car is traveling up the winding mountain road and there is that spine chilling, for lack of a better word, howl. Kubrick was as much a genius at sound in film as he was at cinematography in film.

I also want to make the werewolf's howl something terrifying and unique, not the traditional wolf howl but something with a human quality AND an animal quality that exudes pure evil intent and malice, something that will make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, maybe a combination of the sounds similar to the ones from the tripods in War of the Worlds, Godzilla's scream, the hiss of a snake and a human howl plus I don't know want else. But I want this thing to sound totally different than anything you've ever heard before. It should be fun to do. B)

Hey Steve,

I'll PM you about the sound stuff...my friend has a studio that she uses for motion picture scoring, so she's running Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and has 2 MIDI synths, a Kurzweil K2500 and a Roland XP-30. It's a nice little setup and it's possible that maybe she'll let me borrow the space a few days a week. I'm kinda busy this week but I'll send you a message about it.

As for the resume, I feel better about it now than I did when I first wrote it up. I've always hated having to show what I've worked on, on paper...I'd rather just show up and talk about it or something. But anyway, I think the format's better than what it was and I just have to re-word some stuff.

Hey Steve,

I'll PM you about the sound stuff...my friend has a studio that she uses for motion picture scoring, so she's running Pro Tools, Digital Performer, and has 2 MIDI synths, a Kurzweil K2500 and a Roland XP-30. It's a nice little setup and it's possible that maybe she'll let me borrow the space a few days a week. I'm kinda busy this week but I'll send you a message about it.

Have I told you lately that I LOVE YOU!!, :D That's fantastic!, just what we'll need! This place sounds terrific.....and you would know! Seriously though, I really appreciate all the help, Anne, you're the best. You probably already know this but just in case you don't, if you need anything, just let me know.

As for the resume', my buddy Hal said it all. It's just a formality. They're gonna hire you because of you. You can get along with people and you know your job so this little piece of paper just reflects that fact. Don't worry, you'll be terrific, just keep your head up and plow through the storm! Also, Thanks again-Steve B)