OCT18 LENS how easy is focus?

andres victorero

As easy or easier than any Cooke or Ziezz mouse eared lens with an Arri standard mount. The Russians copied stuff rather doing their our R&D so much of their camera equipment are slight variations on Western designs. The Lomo lenses however are very good quality, comparable to any Cook or Ziess of the era because the Soviets took propaganda very seriously and made TONS of propaganda films which explains the huge numbers of Konvas cameras produced. The Soviets used propaganda to influence and help control their people so the equipment was a priority, and it was not fancy but VERY well made to survive conditions in Russia during the Soviet era. he are locked in place with a tap and slot clip nearly identical except for size to the Arri Standard Mount and do not rotate in the camera mount. Have no concerns about using them. They can't be used with a fallow focus though of course. Oh, just for you're information as well, the OCT-19 mount is the Soviet version of a BNCR mount but also varies in size from the BNCR.

Edited by James Steven Beverly

OUUPPSS!! I take that back, they DO rotate in the camera mount EXACTLY like old Schneider lenses in an Arri Standard Mount. I was thinking something else and misunderstood what you were asking SO if you ever used that Mouse Eared Schneider lens / Arri Standard Mount combination, this will be the exact same thing maybe with the ears a little closer to the turret face.

I don´t know much about russian lenses and it sound stupid but how easy is pull focus with OCT18 lenses? they rotates in the camera mount like old schneider lenses / arri STD mount?

thanks in advance

It depends on how well maintained the lenses are. Some my lenses (although the markings arn't right on the lens!) run very smoothly while others are much harder to pull and make it hard to make a smooth focus change. But it's nothing some good lubrication can't fix! (Get a professional to do it)

James that anamorphic picture is coming soon...

• Premium Member
...others are much harder to pull and make it hard to make a smooth focus change. But it's nothing some good lubrication can't fix! (Get a professional to do it)

Actually they are very easy to unscrew from the focusing mount, leaving the focusing threads exposed. They are then very easy to clean and relubricate. Just be sure you get the threads started the same way they came apart or you can't focus to infinity. A dash of lubrication between the mount and the turret will help too. The OCT19 mount lenses are a whole different deal.

Bruce Taylor

Hey, also what's the best lube for these Lomo lens threads? I can't imagine it's white grease or sewing machine oil this close to the optics, so what then? (I have a 75mm 2 piece anamorphic in an OCT-18 mount that's a little stiff and may cause problems on my shoot. I want to try lubing it and the others to see if that fixes the problem before sending it off to have a tech look at it, who will charge me.)

Edited by James Steven Beverly