Wooden Sticks?

James Steven Beverly

The other day someone was giving me trouble about being stuck in the "golden age" and my equipment being "fossils" the guy was pretty much just a jerk but lets' leave that for a moment, because my DP also made mention of my sticks being wooden. I got to thinking about this and it suddenly hit me, I LIKE my wooden sticks. I originally bought them because they were cheap and would do the job but now I wouldn't want to change them for a brand new set of the latest carbon fiber even if I could afford the carbon fiber set without thinking about what they cost. They're in almost mint condition. the finish is excellent and the work perfectly. It took a few minutes to get used to adjusting them but once I figured it out, they worked like a charm. They make me feel connected to film makers of the past. I love the color of the rich dark wood, the silver metal finish of the adjustments against it. It's kinda hard to describe but I feel in every little nick and scratch, there's a little bit of the guys who used these sticks before me and they remind me of the tradition of our art, which gives me great respect for it and them. I feel this way about my cameras too. Anyone else fell this way about anything they have? :huh:

Edited by James Steven Beverly

• Premium Member

When things are getting wet you're better off with a metal leg tripod. Wipe and dry it, pack it up. For the rest: wood. Naturally. It's warm, it ages with you. I like wood around: sticks, slate, fold chair, a table to sit at, the board before my head.

• Premium Member

Well... there are rickety wooden sticks, and there are solid ones. If they're solid (like O'connors), then no problem. If you're hauling your own gear, sticks like that are way easier to move than metal legs, yet every bit as stable.

These are indeed solid, I can see the thing about the rain though ('round here, it rains so little except for the monsoon season, that you never think about it) I guess just wrap 'em in plastic and keep a large umbrella handy ( I actually have a umbrella style boat cover that I keep for sun and rain situations.) and hope for the best. :unsure: