K40A single perf in 16mm 400 ft. +

K Borowski

Hello everybody. I am looking for a place that offers K40A in 16mm, preferably single perf and in lengths in excess of 100 feet. I am trying to shoot optical sound with an Auricon and I've heard that Kodachrome has the best sound quality using this process. I know that EXR 50D would probably work just as well, but I'd prefer the vintage look of Kodachrome.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

Hello everybody.  I am looking for a place that offers K40A in 16mm, preferably single perf and in lengths in excess of 100 feet.  I am trying to shoot optical sound with an Auricon. Regards.

~Karl Borowski

I have been looking myself, but have come up empty handed. I called Kodak, and they told me they were out, and would no longer stock K-40 for 16mm, single or double perf. I wonder how Fomapan would look in that camera of yours.....?

You can find a good selection of single & double perf color & B&W 16mm at Chambless, but you probably already knew that:

http://www.chamblesscineequip.com/catalog/catalog.htm

I have been looking at Auricon sound cameras on ebay, and thought about playing with one. I was told that bulbs that burn in the sound are no longer made, so that when one goes looking for one, you are in a bit of a pickle. Do you know if this is true?

Have you shot *any* footage with your Auricon set up? I know the sound quality is not up to todays standards, but is it OK for just playing around?

I would love to play with this old technology. Are you in the USA?

Jack in Portland Oregon

• 1 month later...
Guest Michael Carter
I was told that bulbs that burn in the sound are no longer made, so that when one goes looking for one, you are in a bit of a pickle. Do you know if this is true?

The bulbs are for sale (? so I was told) only without the metal ring around the base; you need to unsolder it from the old bulb and put it onto the new bulb. A DIY jig is required to postion the bulb and base correctly then you solder it together.