Video format clarifications

Rajendra Kondapalli

Hi !!

What will be the difference in picture quality / video output , if i change the shooting format from Digi-beta to DSR 400 -DVCAM ? This is a training film on motorbike engine servicing. The final master / deliverable of the film to the client is on a interactive DVD. Appreciate if anyone can give the technical inputs for the above query.

Thanks

Rasaki

• Premium Member
Hi !!

What will be the difference in picture quality / video output , if i change the shooting format from Digi-beta to DSR 400 -DVCAM ? This is a training film on motorbike engine servicing. The final master / deliverable of the film to the client is on a interactive DVD. Appreciate if anyone can give the technical inputs for the above query.

Thanks

Rasaki

Digibeta will look 'better' overall than DVCAM. Will it be noticeable? If inter cut it may. If it's new segments, you'll be fine. Others may give you all sorts of technical numbers which are nice but don't always mean much when talking aobut subjectively loking at a picture. I have finished a number of projects combining both and they loked perfeclty fine. Of course I was using a DVCAM camera that was not a prosumer but rather over the shoulder which meant better optics, bigger chips, and more electronics in the camera. That is a key facgtor in getting the most out of DVCAM.

• Premium Member

An aggravating factor is if you're going to do a lot of creative colour correction on it, which you're probably not for an instructional video.

I've shot acres of stuff destined for DVD on DVCAM and nobody ever complained, but, as Walter said, there's two separate considerations here - using a good camera, and using a good tape format. A DSR-400 is a comparatively good camera.

P

• Premium Member
An aggravating factor is if you're going to do a lot of creative colour correction on it, which you're probably not for an instructional video.

I've shot acres of stuff destined for DVD on DVCAM and nobody ever complained, but, as Walter said, there's two separate considerations here - using a good camera, and using a good tape format. A DSR-400 is a comparatively good camera.

P

Agreed! The DSR400 is one of the best cameras of it's type. If you can get that or a 450 you'll see no difference between a digibeta. Here's a project I produced with a 400 and even with the bright lights in the shot, it handled everything well. I pushed exposure so skin tones were a bit overdone yet it still handled darks to light like digibeta. A great camera. I think the best DVCAM camera made!

http://www.bluesky-web.com/gloshow3.mov