Sundance 2009

Brook Aitken

• Premium Member
I just want to know who was seen what from the 2009 Sundance collection and what did people like?

I understand that "Brooklyn's Finest" was the first sale made at Sundance. It's directed by Antoine Fuqua, and stars Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, and Wesley Snipes. It's sure nice to see such unknown, first-time filmmakers have success making a sale at a film festival.

• Premium Member
Dude, it had Richard Gere, Don Cheadle, Ethan Hawke, and Wesley Snipes. A blind chimp coulda directed it and it woulda sold. :blink:

No kidding. I was being facetious. The director, Antoine Fuqua (Training Day, Shooter, etc.), is hardly a novice either.

• Premium Member

It was a thin crowd this year. I just got back from my friend's movie that played in Slamdance (Zombie Girl: The Movie) which I went to the opening screening (and it was fantastic, but I won't go into that now).

When I was there in '06, walking down the street was like walking through a sold-out concert. This year there were pockets of crowds here and there, but mostly pretty thin. And, I'm talking about the opening Friday night.

Edited by Justin Hayward

It was a thin crowd this year. I just got back from my friend's movie that played in Slamdance (Zombie Girl: The Movie) which I went to the opening screening (and it was fantastic, but I won't go into that now).

When I was there in '06, walking down the street was like walking through a sold-out concert. This year there were pockets of crowds here and there, but mostly pretty thin. And, I'm talking about the opening Friday night.

Maybe the gay boycott had an effect after all? They said Sundance would be a target this year.

R,

They had a gay boycott?

My immediate thought was credit crunch.

Gay advocacy groups vowed to target Utah in retaliation for the Mormon church's support for Prop 8 in Calif.

R,

We attended Sundance (4th time) this year, and while attendance was down, we saw gays and trans at the festival. Some of our favorite films were "The Greatest", "Old Partner", "The Messenger", "In the Loop" and "Moon" which was picked up by Sony Classics. "Push" was the big winner, but we missed that one. We heard the economy and the Inauguration were factors in the low attendance.

• Premium Member
Gay advocacy groups vowed to target Utah in retaliation for the Mormon church's support for Prop 8 in Calif.

R,

That's kind of a retarded idea. I would think that the people who supported Prop 8 in Utah don't want gay people there anyway.

That's kind of a retarded idea. I would think that the people who supported Prop 8 in Utah don't want gay people there anyway.

There is substantial evidence showing monetary support from Morman churches in support for the bill passing (a yes vote = no gay marriage)...this was a California only vote, so they stuck their noses in our business.

Anyone should do what they can when they are being discriminated. That's my belief.

I worked on "everything strange and new" - anyone see it?

Edited by Jamie Metzger