Small Conference Room

I'm shooting a short scene in a small conference room tomorrow. Its interior (no windows) and has a drop ceiling and fluorescent overhead lights. The majority of the shots are close-ups that i can cheat the lighting for, but I'm not sure what to do for the master. At my disposal are some kinos and some small (1k & 650w) fresnels. Can/should I try to rig the kinos to the drop ceiling or bounce the fresnels off the ceiling? Any suggestions/advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I wouldn't be doing too much top lighting as it is not very flattering. I'd use your punchier units off to one side or the other (of camera) and front 3/4 light for the wide. Then use the kinos on one side of the camera or the other (depending) for the close ups. The idea is to take the top light and 'wrap' it around into a more frontal light so they don't look like raccoons.. so you can get some light into their eyes. Be sure you are able to balance all your lights. I'd opt for swapping their overheads with 3200k floros and run 3200k globes in the kinos.. that with your tungsten lights will put you at a consistent 3200k.. you can then warm or cool as needed. Of course, this all depends on what the scene call for...

Get this book asap: FILM LIGHTING

Where to put the lights depends on what you need the scene to look like. Is it supposed to just look like a "normal" conference room? What's the overall mood of the scene and the project? Should you be "normal" or dark or overly bright?

There is never a one-size-fits-all solution, especially in an enclosed space where you're not forced to fight (or control) daylight or other non-movie light.

Thanks for the input. The overall feel is definitely not moody. Its a short comedy bit heavily based on the Rainn Wilson SNL digital short, so we're not going for a dramatic lighting ratio or anything too directional; mostly just nice ambient light.

Here's a link to the digital short if you haven't seen it

http://www.hulu.com/watch/1495/saturday-ni...th-rainn-wilson