UK, London: High Power Supply

XiaoSu Han

Hi, we are going to shoot a feature in London, UK the first time and I'd like to ask about power supply in urban areas regarding high power.

We would need outlets like 63A for example to power 5Ks and Maxi Brutes, how is this usually done and what would it cost?

Regards, Xax

Hi Xax,

I take it that when you are saying shooting in 'urban areas' that you will be shooting in areas where a 3 phase system is not applied. aka a normal house system.

If so, the max that you can go to is 3k per household. In this type of situation I don't push it, unless I really have to, past 2.5k.

The only place you'll have access to a 63a connector will be in a studio, gennie or possibly a commercial building. The later being hard to find and get permission to use.

If your budget allows it to, hire a gennie van from a any rental house (i.e Panalux).

Xiao,

if you're shooting in a domestic house without tiying in, you can only pull (usually) 32a per floor, which is slightly more than 7kw, as every floor should have a 32a ring main. each wall outlet is 13a tho which means the biggest lamp you'll be able to plug in a single socket will be a 2.5k HMI.

however, and this is a qualified spark job, you could easily tie in in the house's mains and possibly have 100a at your disposal, depending on appliance, board and spare fuses. again, it really depends on what kind of house youre tying into. tying in 32a or 63a tails in the mains is the most popular thing to do on a low budget gig up north...

i love doing exciting stuff like that, however having a gennie is always the best thing to do so if you could afford one, dont think twice and get it!!!!

if you're planning on shooting in warehouse you will most likely find a 3 phase 400a breaker box, which means you could theoretically tie in bigger cable tails like .1 or .2 and draw almost 100k.

Some warehouse however have their own single ph distribution already available so you may be lucky.

tech reccies with your gaffer a MUST

good luck