Night Scenes

LED brick lights. may not be the prettiest fixture of the arsenal, but spectacular for car interiors. easy to hide, bright and you can use the cigarette lighter to power them...they also come with their own diffusion and colour correction gels...

god, friday night and im still online...sod it, im off to the pub

Nice going, Freddie. LEDs are not good, but for cars work great!

Also, u might wanna use kinos to increase the overall stop. Not the entire unit thou! I'd suggest take a couple of tubes out, without the crate, diffuse them, and tape them on the back, this will give a nice and soft backlight. Don't go over board thou, otherwise it will be a little fake, like sitcoms ;)

Tomorrow night we'll be filming and we need to light a car at night. The car will be stationary and we need the lighting to be on the inside of the vehicle.

We have some sun packs and so forth, any tips?

Good luck Michael, its a big challenge. One of the toughest things to light convincingly Ive found. The trouble is its generally a very dark space in reality. Is the car meant to be parked or are you faking movement. Ive used the LED bricks in car interiors but always wished they were more of a square shape because they get a little spotty and it can be hard to keep them out of frame, plus the light is so close to the performers that its easy for them to mask the light or it gets very bright if they move a fraction to close. Ive also used battery powered flouros and Daedos, same problems.

I kind of prefer the light to come from the exterior of the car now so generally try and shoot against brighter backgrounds ( We plan the route out before shooting, this is in a moving vehicle).

For me it was always about where you can motivate the light from inside the car, the dash panel can only be so bright unfortunately, back seats even harder.

Have a spare car battery you can start the car off would be a lesson I learnt. Nothing worse than wrapping and having a car that wont start because its been running lights all night.

Good luck I hope some of this helps.