Follow Focus for bolex H16

Fred Neilsen

Dear Cinematography.com users,

This is my first post, anyway, I was wondering about follow focus systems that are compatible with the bolex H16 rex 5, I am going to be using the 18-86MM F2.5 VARIO SWITAR ZOOM LENS (will this lens work with a follow focus?)

I need this system to be able to control the focus from the Outside of a home built blimp

Note: I am using the blimp to quiet down the camera, not to shoot sync. sound but to shoot animals without disturbing them, I am using a Bolex because I will be in Papua New Guinea and far north Australia (no wall socket to plug my charger into) to shoot A bird "Doco" about the Southern Cassawarie

I would like to know any other ways of controlling focus from outside the blimp I am sure there are easier methods also, has anyone else done the same thing before?

My budget for the follow focus is between us$200-700

I am very interested in the indian one, "CINE Follow Focus + whip for xl1 xl2 hvx200 gear free" however I am worried about wether it would be the right height for a bolex, I am interested in a DIY way to adjust the height on this system.

Thanks in advanced

Frederik Nielssen

Correction

I am very interested in the indian one ##@@**(on Ebay if you type in "follow focus")**@@##, "CINE Follow Focus + whip for xl1 xl2 hvx200 gear free" however I am worried about wether it would be the right height for a bolex, I am interested in a DIY way to adjust the height on this system.

That looks quite easy, and allot cheaper than the stuff on ebay, but do you know if it will accept standard follow focus whips? that is the main part that I am interested in so that I can drill a small hole in my blimp and poke the whip through, to control the focus from the outside of the blimp, if it doesn't, Ill just have to make a larger hole in the blimp and poke a (modified) longer focus knob through, I'll have to work out a way to block sound leaks.

Ps Thanks for the quick reply

Fred