How To Light A Car?

Shooting a spec car commercial for a project on the SR3 with super speeds. What is the best way to go about lighting. Angle of incidence equals angle of reflection so big soft sources that reflect would be the best I assume? I read some tips in here don't have the budget for huge sources or silks so what is a budget way of going about it? Kino's wrapped in diff? We do have an 8x8 and a 5k (our biggest source) could punch that through. What is the best way to meter it? I always use my incident. Will an incident give proper exposure? Worried that since cars are shiny they will reflect to much light and I'll wind up overexposing too much.

For me it would depend on how tight your shots are. I think as long as the shots are tighter you can get away with smaller lights. If you have to do wider shots you might consider shooting at sunset or sunrise if that works with the commercial.

Dear Andrew,

This is a tutorial I found on youtube, about how to light a car for a photo shoot, It shows you how to light a car very elegantly, showing the true beauty of a car (ideal for a commercial/promotion) Although it is intended for still photography, I'm sure much of the information can be transfered to film

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyJuwK269FI&...re=channel_page

hope the link works

Fred

The October 08 issue of American Cinematographer featured footage shot for the latest Need for Speed game. One trick the cinematographer used to figure out where to put lights was to use a laser pointer. He'd figure out where he wanted the highlight to appear on the car, then from the camera's position he shone the laser at that point, and then put a light where the laser bounced off.

The October 08 issue of American Cinematographer featured footage shot for the latest Need for Speed game. One trick the cinematographer used to figure out where to put lights was to use a laser pointer. He'd figure out where he wanted the highlight to appear on the car, then from the camera's position he shone the laser at that point, and then put a light where the laser bounced off.

Wow, simple and effective idea. Great tip, useful for shooting into mirrors as well.