Audio Setup to mimic VX2100 sound

Nick Norton

My goal: To record audio while filming skating with 16mm silent/sync camera.

As many traditional skate videos are shot with a 3ccd camera such as the VX and GL series... the quality of the audio does not need to be any better than that. (of course better quality audio would be fantastic, but i am on a very tight budget.)

Anyone have some ideas for a possible mic/recorder set up that would be portable/easy enough to record audio while shooting 16mm on the fly?

Thanks for any help!

-Nicholas

why not use your VX or GL series camera, if the audio doesn't need to be any better. Seems that would be the most convinient solution, since even with the film camera, you'd likely need the video camera as well for pickup shots that you don't want to burn film on.

Actually, this is an entire 16mm project. So i will certainly be burning mountains of film.

The reason i wouldn't want to use an actual VX or GL... is because fumbling around with focus/exposure on my Eclair ACL while skating, following the subject should be difficult enough without having yet another camera in my free hand capturing those "pickup shots."

-nicholas

"fumbling around with focus/exposure on my Eclair ACL while skating, "

Hey Nick, sorry but I can't help but chuckle at the sight of that :lol:

I would fall so many times there would be very little left of the camera at the end of the day.

I understand the tight budget, so this may beyond that, but it's certainly portable and 24 bit:

http://www.jr.com/sony-pcmd50-recorder/pe/SON_PCMD50/

it's small enough that I actually mounted it to the side of my camera with velcro tape because I always forgot to turn it off between takes. I needed it closer to the camera switch so I can turn it off just after the camera. I use it for all of my sync work. But as I said, as a one time shot it's probably too pricey.

Tom

I understand the tight budget, so this may beyond that, but it's certainly portable and 24 bit:

http://www.jr.com/sony-pcmd50-recorder/pe/SON_PCMD50/

Tom

Thanks for the idea on the recorder Tom.

Do you have any suggestions on the type of microphone i should be using? I'd like to mount it on the camera somewhere, so it would have to have quite some range. The properties of the microphones used on similar VX/GL/XL seem to be all i need (however, if there is a better affordable option i'm up for it.)

What type of mic should i be looking for?

Thanks-

nick

Well, I can't tell you exactly what you should be looking for, but a great little shotgun mic is the

Rode NTG-2

It's light, reasonably priced and good sounding. I've mounted in on a homemade shock mount at the top of my ACL. There is a "sweet" distance that is far enough in front of the camera to reduce the camera noise yet far enough back to be out of your shot. Keep in mind if you were in a quiet place, indoors with wooden floors, you may pick up the camera slightly, but on ice, I think you'd be OK. You may also want to look into the wind screen. I think it's called a dead cat, as I'm sure if you're skating around you're going to be getting some wind brushing across the surface.

I might also consider having a video camera somewhere that would pick up ambient sound of the audience. That way you can mix the two when and where needed when editing.

As always, I would test this set up first, but these have been my experiences.

Tom