Matting a Background image Behind a forground

Joe Taylor

I have a special F/X shot that I need to complete for a film I worked on recently.

This is the shot: Foreground shot is a fir tree, filmed at night and lit with tungsten side lighting. Background shot is star-filled sky with Orion. I need to matte the star shot over the darkness of the fir tree shot.

The star shot is actually four time-frames of slightly different exposures to give the stars a bit of flicker.

I am working with FCP Studio Pro. I am told Motion might work well for the composite.

Any suggestions or advice is appreciated.

You can find about a zillion tutorials for how to do keying and rotoscoping in After Effects or other programs all over the internet.

Also, it's generally a good idea to have planned this sort of thing out beforehand and to know how you're going to do it before you shoot it and make your movie dependent on a shot that you may not know how to accomplish.

You can find about a zillion tutorials for how to do keying and rotoscoping in After Effects or other programs all over the internet.

Also, it's generally a good idea to have planned this sort of thing out beforehand and to know how you're going to do it before you shoot it and make your movie dependent on a shot that you may not know how to accomplish.

If everybody went to Google to get all the answers to life, then seeking advice @ Cinematography.com from friendly professionals like yourself would seem so pointless. So relax. The Cardinals still played a good game.