Shooting in Peru

Frank Barrera

• Premium Member

Next week I will be traveling to Lima Peru to shoot a short 35MM project. I've shot lots of 16 but this is my first 35 job. Low budget of course. I will be the only non-Peruvian on the crew. Great script. Talented young director. It's a gritty story about a prostitute and her son. Low key. Very dark.

I was just looking for any advice in shooting in a place like Peru. We'll be shooting 5279 for both ext and int. (this is mostly an int job and i didn't have the stomach to order the precise amount of daylight stock. There is no available stock in Lima.) Package is the BL2 with a Taylor Hobson 25-250 T4 and a set of Zeiss Primes. We've had no money or time for tests.

Specific questions:

-How loud is the BL2?

-For end of lens stuff how is that old Taylor Hobson?

-Should I underrate the 79 outside? And if so, by how much?

-Even though my background in as a gaffer, I have never worked with 220V/50hz lights. I won't be able to talk (in my poor spanish) with my gaffer until I get down there. It's unlear whether we will have a gennie or have to tie in. I have tied into 110 boxes all over new york city and wonder what the difference is on a 220 box. Any thoughts and/or advice. (btw I have zero intention of personnally tieing into anything down there. I'm just curious what some folks 220 experience is.)

-Any and all appropriate war stories would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Frank Barrera