Bastardizing an Arri True Blue Fresnel to work as an HMi

Rich Steel

• Premium Member

I've just purchased a True Blue (T1) 1K fixture, with the view to changing the G22 Lamp Carriage for a High Temperature G22 Lamp Carriage from a 575 Compact HMi.

I've not had a chance to dig around inside a 575 HMi unit so was wondering if it's a fairly straight forward swap out of the Lamp Carriages? or is there more to it?

Would I have to look at other components also to convert the T1 to an HMi?

I understand about getting the lamp the right height once mounted into the fixture (thats where my Father in laws metal skills will come in handy), adding the Arri hour counter (is it necessary?) and changing the internal cables to High Temperature ones (again is it necessary?) but is there anything else I should be looking at changing?

or should I just leave the T1 alone?

The only reason I'm asking is that I've managed to track down a cheap good quality built ballast and thought I'd try it out with the T1.

Much more to it than just a lampholder. The heads include igniter circuits, safety circuits(including switches on doors etc), UV protective lenses and heavier duty reflectors. Also you have to consider heat and UV protection amongst a myriad of other things.

Essentially all that you would have remaining of your original lamp would be the shell. And you would be putting in new, every component out of a 575. I really cant see it being worth converting a tungsten lamphead like a T1 to a HMI.

It would be much much safer, much easier and probably much cheaper just to get a 575 head. Even if it is a chinese copy.

Edited by Matthew Parnell

• Premium Member
Much more to it than just a lampholder. The heads include igniter circuits, safety circuits(including switches on doors etc), UV protective lenses and heavier duty reflectors. Also you have to consider heat and UV protection amongst a myriad of other things.

Essentially all that you would have remaining of your original lamp would be the shell. And you would be putting in new, every component out of a 575. I really cant see it being worth converting a tungsten lamphead like a T1 to a HMI.

It would be much much safer, much easier and probably much cheaper just to get a 575 head. Even if it is a chinese copy.

Thanks for that. Looks like I've just added a couple of T1 to my lighting kit.