MTV Cribs

I'm going to to be 1st ACing for the first time (professionally) on an episode of MTV Cribs with the HDX900. I've ACed on a lot of smaller shoots (student and independent, mostly film) but I was wondering if anyone had any insight as to what type of things I'll be responsible for other than focusing and managing the camera (i.e. logs, adjusting all of the settings in the camera, etc.) on a fast-paced HD shoot like this. Also, does anyone have any AC tips for the HDX900 or things to watch out for? I have worked a bit with other DVCPRO cameras but not the HDX900. I will be able to get my hands on the camera at least once before the shoot and I have the manual to study. Also, any tips for ACing on a very quick, on the fly type shoot like this? I really want to do my best to make a good impression so I appreciate any help.

Thanks a lot,

Joel

I bet your main responsibilities will be setting up the monitor, running and labeling tapes, carrying around a fresh camera battery, pulling cable, and staying out of the shot.

I wouldn't get worried. I doubt you'll do much with the camera besides maybe change batteries, tapes, and connect the BNC cable.

Do you know the operator? Consider giving her a call the day before to chat.

• Premium Member
I bet your main responsibilities will be setting up the monitor, running and labeling tapes, carrying around a fresh camera battery, pulling cable, and staying out of the shot.

I wouldn't get worried. I doubt you'll do much with the camera besides maybe change batteries, tapes, and connect the BNC cable.

Do you know the operator? Consider giving her a call the day before to chat.

This is pretty much it. You won't be pulling focus on that type of show.

• Premium Member

Rich Davis used to shoot a lot of the Cribs shows and Josh Harrison used to assist for him. I think they're both members of the forum, so you might consider sending them a PM.

I'm pretty sure Josh did pull focus. Cribs used to be pretty much all steadicam (not sure now).