Attaching a Pan Cinor Zoom to a CP16

grant mcphee

Hello,

I was stupid enough to be misled into buying a non-reflex cp16 without a lens.

Anyway, not getting too much into that I was wondering what peoples thought were about attaching a Pan Cinor 85 (the 17-85) dogleg zoom which I use for my non reflex bolex.

I've had a couple of differing opinions, both from respected technicians. One said that the flange focal distance is different so I would have focus problems, the other said it would be fine.

Any ideas?

And is it a case of just removing the cp mount on the cp16 body and screwing in the c-mount Pan-Cinor like I would to my Bolex?

Thanks.

Also, it is a 24fps version. How easy is it to convert to 25? Is it like the Eclair where you just change the crystal?

Although I've never tried this combonation, I believe it should work, because the Pan Cinor was used with Auricons, which the CP is very similar, and there shouldn't be any FFD problems. Off course test this before shooting anything important, as there might be other problems too. Most CPs were used a lot and are in sad shape.

And is it a case of just removing the cp mount on the cp16 body and screwing in the c-mount Pan-Cinor like I would to my Bolex?

Well, you mention you have a CP non reflex so you don't have a CP mount at all, but a c-mount. The CP mount is like the Aaton mount. If there is something in the mount then it's the c cup from the previous lens (probably the 12-120).

Just unscrew it.

Also, it is a 24fps version. How easy is it to convert to 25?

Conversion between 24 and 25fps is done by changing a pulley inside the camera. They are color coded, with the 24 being black and the 25 red.

I am not sure if all, but certainly some cameras came from the factory with the alternative pulley stored on a crossmember inside the camera about 4 inches from the working pulley. To check, you would need to open the camera side cover by removing the hex screws and unhooking the drive belt (not the herring bone belt). With the red pulley installed the speeds will be 12.5, 16.5, 21, 25, 29, 33.5 and 37.5. Only 25 is crystal.