Nizo batteries..

Steven Boldt

The Nizo 3048 I'm getting calls for NiCd 1.3V AA rechargable batteries. Nothing on Am ratings. Is it safe to use regular AA 1.5V in these cameras?

Hi Steven,

I wouldn't take a chance and I would use only what they recommend.

Of course NiMH cells would be OK as they also in the 1.2V - 1.25V range.

The mA rating is unimportant as the camera will only utilize the power it needs.

I had a Nizo 6080 many, many years ago (before I became a camera repairman) that suddenly developed an electronic problem with the exposure meter. I never had it fixed and got rid of the camera but I always suspected that using regular 1.5V might have been the cause.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

This is the eternal topic, and the answer is yes, you can use regular AAs in the big Nizos.

If you were running sound cartridges, especially the 200 footers, the answer is no, because of the limited current capacity of alkalines. They'd last about one roll if you were lucky. That's why Nizo developed the NiCad Accupaks-- if you notice, earlier Nizos always used alkalines.

A fully charged set of NiCads can easily put out 8.5 volts, so that's not the factor. If you really want to be safe, just run down the alkalines a little before using them.

DuAll repair in New Yorks says alkalines are OK, too.

Thanks,

It sounds like it's impossible to determine whether using regular AA's will effect the camera in the long run. To be on the safe side I'll use the recommended batteries for the time being. I might as well start looking for a cheaper back-up camera. People here say don't rely on just one to work all the time.

Just got the 3048 camera today. I'm using the online manual for the 6080 that say's use NiCd 1.2V. The battery holder itself say's to use Alkaline Mangenese. :blink:

That's probably not the original battery holder. The sound Nizos came with a holder for NiCds that had a socket that the charger would plug into.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

That's right, the battery packs are all interchangeable, but the big sound cameras had one with a little two-pin jack on it for the recharger.

It's called an Akkupak and I don't think it has any white markings on it like the others. Without the jack you have to take the batteries out and recharge them somewhere else.